Old 08-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Agamemnonsmom
Casting On

knitting armhole and v-neck at the same time??
Hi,

I'm knitting a sweater vest (a v-neck) from the book "the yarn girls' guide to knits for all seasons". I've finished the back of the sweater and I'm working on the front now. The pattern says:

You may be shaping the armhole and the V-neck at the same time.

I understand why, but I don't understand how. Is there a book or video I could see this demonstrated?? I'm a few rows away from starting my armholes by binding off stitches on each end (which I understand) but I don't know how to start the V-neck in the middle!!

Thank you so much!!
Agamemnonsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Help!

If you post a name and a link to the pattern when asking questions it will help us help you. If it's a pattern from a book don't type out the entire pattern, but you can type out a few specific lines you are having trouble understanding. You can also post a picture of your work if you want to. Click the link in my signature to see acceptable sizes and how it's done here in KH.

There really isn't a video for this kind of thing. Just do what the pattern says and you'll start to see shaping happen.

If you have a question about specific wording just reply back with the part that's giving you fits.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
Ellieblue
Knitting the Flap

Maybe I can help. If you read the next couple of rows down there will be a row to start the Vneck. It will tell you to decrease a stitch in the middle of your work then drop that yarn and attach another ball of yarn and proceed to the end. As you work back and forth, you drop off one yarn ball in the middle and pick up the other ball you dropped on the previous round. At the same time you will be doing decreases at the neck edge and the armhole edge. Good luck
Old 08-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Sounds to me like you may be required to split the sides up. But I'm guessing without having read the pattern.

In this v-neck sweater, I worked the sides separately and did the neck shaping the armhole at the same time. Picture this...

With the front side of the work facing you, your stitches would be separated into two sections: the left section is the left side of the v-neck; the right section is the right side of the v-neck. (For the purpose of this example, the right side stitches would be placed and waiting on a stitch holder to work later.) You'd be doing some shaping along the left side of the work, then you'd knit the sweater pattern as usual, then when you come to within X amount of stitches of the right side of the left section (which is the left side of the v-neck), you doing some shaping along that end. Then you'd turn your work and knit only that section until it's done.

Once the left section is done, you pick up the stitches from the right section and knit that side.

I drew a picture to see if that would help, but KH won't let me upload it.

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Agamemnonsmom
Casting On

Thank you for the replies. Here's how it reads:

Shape armhole:
bind off 4 stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows. Bind off 3 stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows. Bind off 2 stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows. Then decrease 1 stitch at each edge, every other row 2 times until 68 stitched remain. Continue working in striped St st until piece measures 14" from cast-on edge, ending with a WS row.

Shape V-neck:
Place a marker at the center. Row 1: knit until 4 stitches before the marker, k2tog, k2. Turn work around as if you were at the end of the row. Ignore the rest of the stitches. Row 2: Purl. Row 3: knit. Row 4: Purl. Repeat Rows 1-4 5 more times until 28 stitches remain. Then repeat rows 1 and 2 9 times until 19 stitches remain. Continue to work on these stitches until piece measures 22" from cast-on edge, ending with a WS row. Bind off remaining stitches loosely.

Then it just goes into how to do the other side.

So I've got to do the shape armhole portion (which actually looks like the underarm portion until I get to rows with v-neck). Then place a marker (which I'll figure out how to do) in the center. Then follow v-neck instructions until the piece measures 22". I'll have to place the other stitches on a stitch holder while I work on one side.

Does this sound right?

Thank you so much and for the nice welcome
Agamemnonsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, I think you've got it. The pattern explains where and how to do the decreases, just follow it row by row and it will work out fine.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote