Old 08-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Spoofehness
Casting On

Help with knitting terms.
Kay so I'm new to knitting. Last summer I made a simple scarf with matching hat, and I'm as usual, skipping over steps and overestimating my learning capabilities. So I went and bought a knitting book and I don't understand half of the instructions. Can someone clarify exactly what I need to do to finish this pattern?

Here's the line thats confusing me the most:
"knit 2 together before the first stitch marker and after the second stitch marker; 22 stitches remain"

I set up the markers (or rather, some makeshift ones I used) and I know what knit means, but what exactly is it telling me to do with the stitches. Do I just proceed to the next row and leave those stitches on the other needle rather than completing the row or what?
Spoofehness is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-21-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,827 Posts
The markers are just like a bookmark. It tells you where in the pattern you need to decrease.

So knit until there are 2 stitches left before the first marker, then knit those two together. Slip the marker from one needle to the other, then knit to the next marker. Slip it, then knit 2 together and knit to the end. You will have decreased 2 stitches and should have 22 stitches left.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Markers go on the needle and mark spots where you inc or dec or set off stitch patterns (like in lace). Do exactly what the line says - knit until you're 2 sts before the marker, knit those two tog, slip the marker to the other needle, then knit to the next marker and slip that. Then knit 2 tog and finish the row.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:28 AM   #4
Spoofehness
Casting On

Thanks so much! Thats so much clearer now
Spoofehness is offline   Reply With Quote