Old 08-22-2009, 04:11 AM   #1
NotreDameFan
Ribbing the Cuff

Need help with sweater instructions
I am working the back of a cardigan sweater, and I can't figure out the directions for shaping the neck and shoulders. Here are the directions.....

SHAP BACK NECK:
Purl across first 24 sts, bind off center 20 sts, purl remaining 24 stitiches. Attach another ball of yarn to other side. Working shoulders separately and AT THE SAME TIME, bind off 3 sts from each neck edge once for 2 rows, then 2 sts from each neck edge once. SHAPE SHOULDERS:AT THE SAME TIME after binding off center sts and beg with next RS row, bind off 5 sts from each shoulder edge 3 times. Bind off rem 4 sts.

What I don't understand is how to work both sides at the same time when the middle of the row is already bound off. Also, when I bind off at the end of a row I end up with a big hole in between the knitted or purled sts and the last loop of the bind off.

I would really appreciate any help....I'm desperate!!

NotreDameFan on Ravelry

OTN: Baby Surprise Jacket for GDD
Recent FO's: 2 Baby Hats; 2 pair of Baby Booties; Baby mittens, Baby Afghan, and 4 Baby Surprise Jackets
NotreDameFan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
Mirl56
Instepping Out

First, you should do the bind offs at the beginning of a row. You can't bind off at the end cause that would leave your working yarn in the wrong place to be able to continue knitting.

OK, so you purl 24, bind off 20, purl 24. the next row you knit 24. drop that yarn end. skip the bound off section. Grab a new ball of yarn (or use the other end of the ball you're using) and start knitting the other side of 24 stitches. and I believe you also need to bind off the first 3 stitches on this side since it's the neck edge.
Now you have 2 stands of yarn, one on each section of active stitches. So as you knit/purl across the row, use the appropriate yarn end for each side.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
NotreDameFan
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks, Mirl. That's what I've been doing, but my problem is that I have to also bind on the shoulder edge. That's where I'm getting the holes, they are in between the regular knitted stitches and the bind off stitches on the edge.

NotreDameFan on Ravelry

Recent FO's: 2 Baby Hats; 2 pair of Baby Booties; Baby mittens, Baby Afghan, and 4 Baby Surprise Jackets
Old 08-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
When you bind off on the shoulder edges, you do it at the beg of the row too. You'll have to be on the WS for one shoulder.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
NotreDameFan
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks Sue....i'm not trying to be stupid but are you saying that instead if binding off on both sides of the same row, i need to bind off one side, knit or purl the other, then turn & bind off the other side? And this will keep the holes from forming?

NotreDameFan on Ravelry

Old 08-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yep. You can't bind off at the end of a row because your working yarn ends up separated from your unknit sts, which is what I guess you mean by holes. When a pattern says to bind off on both edges, it doesn't neccessarily mean on the same row. End of one row is the same as the beg of the next one.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
NotreDameFan
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks so much for all the help!!! I'm sick of doing the "easy" patterns & want 2 learn more. I guess I have a long way to go. LOL

NotreDameFan on Ravelry