Old 08-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
knit4peace
Casting On

Hi Im Natalie... Im new!
Hello everyone~

Im Natalie... I just recently started to TRY to teach myself how to knit. Its going okay! I didnt know how to cast off so I Googled videos to show me and came across this website, which was exactly what I needed! I can cast on, knit, purl, and cast off... thats about it so far!

There is a few knitting classes where I live but I wanted to see what I could learn on my own first. If anyone has any suggestions on ANYTHING that would be great! I have a basket full of all different yarns and a set of bamboo size 8 needles... Im not sure if thats a good thing or not!?!? Im starting to learn how hard it is to knit with 2 cats! They are crazy!

Well thats all for now! Like I said Ill take any suggestions!

Ohh and I had one question already... after you cast off what do you tie the extra yarn to? does it matter? help!?!
knit4peace is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-27-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Hi Natalie -- welcome to KH!

Do you have a project you're working on first, or are you just free-form knitting to get the hang of things? But it sounds like you're doing fine.

Don't worry about the "tail" of yarn for right now. Later you'll weave that in so it doesn't show.

At any rate, I'd say your next step is to choose a project so you have a goal to work towards. You can choose your project by what yarn you want to use, or choose the project and pick the yarn by the project.

Have fun!

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
knit4peace
Casting On

right now im just knitting purling knitting purling... Im trying to make what will resemble a wash cloth! hahaha! then I will pick a project... Id like to make a scarf or hat! or both!
knit4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #4
Racerkatie
1st Leg of the Journey

Natalie,

keep knitting. keep knitting. keep knitting.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
Irishmam
1st Leg of the Journey

Welcome,

I only started knitting in May and was also taught by YouTube and KnittingHelp videos. I am currently making a shrug for myself and a baby blanket - you will pick it up the more you knit.

Have a look for a pattern on this site and pick something to knit. My 1st proper project was a bag and I learned sooooo much making it. The feeling of achievement when it was finished was fabulous. Don't be afraid to ask for help here - everyone is very lovely and very supportive.

Have you visited the Ravelry website yet? They have thousands of patterns (many free) and you can search by needle size and yarn type.

Good luck and enjoy and, as I was correctly told when I 1st posted here, be warned knitting is addictive!

Irishmam
Old 08-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
margz3
Working the Gusset

Welcome Natalie! Sounds like you are making great strides in learning how to knit! You have the most important basics going right now - keep practicing and when you feel comfortable with the knit & purl sts, you can add increasing and decreasing and a few other techniques that will have you addicted

A dishcloth or scarf is a GREAT first project to work toward! As Irishmam suggested, Ravelry is a terrific resource for finding all kinds of patterns (many free) at many skill levels - you may want to check it out.

And as mentioned previously also, feel free to ask questions here - there are many terrific people who can help you on your knitting journey!

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

margz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Welcome to KH! This is the perfect site for learning as Amy's videos are very good, and the people here are always happy to answer questions.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
Welcome to KH! Glad you found us. If you can knit and purl you can do just about anything. Congrats! You've got a great start already!

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
Gertie
Knitting the Flap

Hi, Natalie!

Originally Posted by knit4peace View Post
Im starting to learn how hard it is to knit with 2 cats! They are crazy!
Oh yeah!
Gertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
lulubell
Knitting the Flap

Hi! When you cast off the last stitch you did thread your tail through the last stitch loop to secure it didn't you? I'm just wondering if that is what you mean by what to do with the tail!!!
lulubell is offline   Reply With Quote