Old 09-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
NKN
Casting On

Need help trying to figure out how to use MC and CC
hi there!

I've been wanting to knit this beanie with a skull pattern but I have to use a chart and MC and CC and I have no idea how to do that or how to start or if I'm supposed to join the yarns at some point. this is the first time I'm trying something like this. Can anyone point me in the right direction??

here is a link to the pattern.

http://www.paradisefibers.net/Free-P...n-p/470700.htm

appreciate it! thanks!
nk
NKN is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I think you'll be doing fair isle or stranded knitting. There is a video under advanced techniques at the tab above.

There is also good instruction here.
http://www.philosopherswool.com/Page...andedvideo.htm

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
We can't read the pattern but only look at the picture. It looks like a standard beanie that you will knit in the round. There are several techniques for knitting in the round--magic loop, double pointed needles, 2 circulars or 1 circular. I ususally use a 16 inch long circular needle if the pattern begins at the cuff and it probably does, then use dpns or 2 circulars to finish the top when there are too few stitches to proceed comfortably on the 1 circular. Yes, you will need to join your work to work in a circle. There is a video about how to do that here as well.

As Jan said you will use a stranded technique. Your chart probably shows only one skull and you will repeat the chart a given number of times around. Working in the round on a chart like this you work all the rows of the chart from right to left. You will start on the end of the chart with the jaw of the skull and work up so the skulls will be right side up.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:39 AM   #4
NKN
Casting On

hmmm,
thanks you guys, I'ma try it out. as for the link, it shows only the picture but if you scroll down, there's a box that says description and it shows you the materials and it has another link that says 'click here for free download' and it gives you the patter and the chart.

well I'm off to start, I'm just wondering do I have to start with both MC and CC??
NKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
No you start with only one color. You introduce the new color when you need it by just knitting with it. It'll leave a loose area, but you can use the tail to fix that later.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote