Old 09-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
jamiejeans
Knitting the Flap

Never Finish Properly
Just purely a vent here....well, maybe a question, too.
I can't seem to finish a project without some mishap that makes my knitting seem haphazard. Examples of this include getting different pattern appearances (especially to lace!) despite following the directions to a T; gauge way off despite gauge swatching properly; socks totally a mess- although the most recent disaster with a nice pair of winter socks for the DH was caused by taking over 2 years knitting them...

I just don't get it. is there anyone else like me who's yet to finish a knitting project with perfect results???

Check out my neglected blog for finished objects and other humors:
www.squawkergirl.blogspot.com

My website: http://jamiejeanjewelry.com
MY ETSY:
http://jamiejeanjewelry.etsy.com
jamiejeans is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-06-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
Perfect? Uhh... no, my projects are never perfect in my mind. We are our own worst critics though. You are not alone.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
There's no such thing as perfect. As you knit, you're so focused on the individual sts that you see every 'imperfection'. After you wash and/or block an item, the sts even out and then it will likely look better.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

What they said. Don't worry, the more you knit, the less it'll happen to you...just have patience, be willing to frog until you have the result you want, and keep knitting. (That last bit is probably the important part. )

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

knitting
Being a perfectionist is hard on you. I know because I am one. There are times I have frogged a row or round more than once because I didn't like the look or more important I discover when doing the next round I didn't have enough sts to get the effect needed. I just finished the Nosegay doily which is octagon in shape. I discovered 4 rounds later I missed a spot and instead of an octagon I would have had a seven sided figure. Not what I wanted and I frogged. But I am getting better as if I find a mistake like at the beginning of a pair of socks, extra stitch. I just knitted two sts together for the join. I wasn't going to frogg or go through the process of removing the other three socks on the needles to fix it. Looks fine and one more notch on my not being a perfectionist belt,lol!!!
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
Yup, I think it happens to all of us. Perfection is overrated dontchathink? (Except for ArtLady of course. LOL Everything she makes is perfection in my mind.) Any time you create something with your own two hands it's not necessarily meant to be "perfect." I think we need to redefine our meaning of perfection. I remember reading or hearing a while back that there is a culture somewhere that deliberately puts at least one mistake on whatever they're creating to insure it truly is unique. So I tend to look a little imperfections with the love the article was created with. I am a bit of a perfectionist too so this is hard for me. I'm getting better at it, but my friends would still probably tell you I still have some practicing to do. LOL

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
sandy57th
Knitting the Flap

Suzeeq mentioned blocking: this can significantly change the appearance of an item. If you don't know how to do it, search on the Internet for it-- there are plenty of tutorials. Almost every photo you see of a finished item is the result of blocking and good lighting. I've had things I've photographed for Ravelry turn out much worse OR much better than they look in real life. Lace in particular can look very, very different once blocked.

The other factor is that if you don't use the same yarn they suggest (I almost never do), it will come out differently. Even if it's the same gauge. Because of the way the yarn is spun, it can drape differently, or feel different, or give better or worse stitch definition.

As for keeping gauge in your projects-- try knitting a much bigger swatch and then you'll get a better idea of what your gauge is going to be. There are people who check constantly as they knit something, and constantly change their needle size as they go, because stress or being calm can change their gauge.

Here's another suggestion-- try just practicing a certain sort of garment, something small such as mittens, hats, socks, or scarves. Let's say mittens. Try just making cuffs. Make 6 of them. See what is going right and wrong with them. Then, try the beginning of the hand. Then the thumb gores. Then the rest of the hand, then the decreases and ending the tops, then the thumbs. Do each section on all 6 samples. I bet by the time you finish the 6th, you're going to get much more of an understanding of where you might be going wrong, and what you're already good at.
sandy57th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

I tell everyone I put in little mistakes on purpose so you know it's homemade !
Old 09-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
nemaent
Ribbing the Cuff

KellyH57 said it perfectly! If you want something "perfect", buy it from a store....... (And that's not even a guarantee!)
nemaent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nemaent For This Useful Post:
MsBehavin (09-22-2009)
Old 09-09-2009, 01:21 AM   #10
GrandmaLori
Knitting the Flap

I knit a lot of things where the fit isn't important - since the finished size is usually a mystery until it's actually finished. I knit children's items and then when they're finished, I pick a child that it will fit and give it away. haha - people always love it. I also try really hard not to have seaming.