Old 09-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
astonh
Turning the Heel

Help Understanding Instructions
They are supposedly written in English but I'm just NOT understanding them.

Pattern is FREE pattern for DROPS sleeveless top...w/cable pattern

FRONT PIECE:
"...Work next row as follows from RS: 1 edge st, P 11-14-17 (21-24), * K2 in each of the next 2 sts, P4 *, repeat from *-* 4 times, K2 in each of the next 2 sts, P 11-14-17 (21-24), 1 edge st = 60-66-72 (80-86) sts.
Work next row as follows from WS:
1 edge st, K 11-14-17 (21-24), * M.1, K 4 *, repeat from *-* 4 times, M.1, K 11-14-17 (21-24), 1 edge st.
Work next row as follows from RS:
1 edge st, P 11-14-17 (21-24), * M.1, P 4 *, repeat from *-* 4 times, M.1, P 11-14-17 (21-24), 1 edge st.
Continue in pattern like this...."

First question... where it says "continue in pattern like this" is it talking about continuing ALL THREE rows? Won't I be increasing then EVERY time I repeat row 1 of this set of instructions? That doesn't make sense to me... Seems like that would make item TOO wide.

Second question... where it says M.1 I know that it is referring to the chart (M.1) BUT do I do row 1 of M.1 on that first WS row and row 2 of M.1 on the second, or RS row and so on and so on so that it is the 6th row (on RS) before I do a cable?

THANKS TO ANY AND ALL who can help me understand what the pattern is asking me to do. I'm sure I'll be back with more but at least not until I get to breaking off for the arm/neck. LOL

Thanks again!

FO: Garter Stitch Baby Kimono, Baby Roots Cardigan, Knitted Baby Hat, Custom Adjustable Felted Guitar Strap, Flirtation Cozy, Modified Knit Coffee Sleeve, Scarf, My So-Called Scarf, Baby Converse Shoes, Balaclava, Various Dish/Wash Cloths

www.trowelanderror.blogspot.com
Oh...and I'm heajames on Ravelry
astonh is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
It doesn't mean for you to repeat that first row with the increases. That is a set up row and adds some extra stitches where each cable will be and that will help the sweater to stay the same size you started with since the cables will cause it to pull in quite a lot.

Quote:
BUT do I do row 1 of M.1 on that first WS row and row 2 of M.1 on the second, or RS row and so on and so on so that it is the 6th row (on RS) before I do a cable?
You want to do the first row of the chart on the first of those two rows after you do the increase row. The chart shows the design from the front always. You are always going to have rev st st between the cables and st st for the cables on the RS. But since the first row of the pattern you will be doing the WS you will be knitting the parts between the cable chart and purling the stitches for the cable chart.

Yes, you don't twist the cables until you get to the 6th row. Row 1 of the chart is a WS row so all even rows will be right side rows and you will always twist the cables on the 6th row; they will always turn out to be RS rows.