Old 02-01-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
stefcap
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to stefcap
Trouble with Cascading leaves throw
I found a pattern for the Jiffy 'Cascading Leaves' Throw, and I'm having trouble working the pattern. I'm a pretty new knitter, and this is my 1st attempt at something more complicated than a scarf.

It says to co 1 st.
How do I cast on just 1 stitch? Do I just make a slip knot?

Row 1 states: Work (k1, yo, k1) in the front loop of the st, making 3 sts.
How do I do this? I tried and it came out looking like a loose blob. I knit the st, keeping the st on the left needle, then tried to yo, but couldn't figure out how to do it w/the rt needle in the lp on the left needle, then i k the lp remaining on the left needle.

Row 2 states: p3, which was ok.

Row 3 states: p1, m1, k1, m1, p1.
I can't make 1 because there was no running thread between the sts, like there usually is between the last and next sts.

Row 4 states: k1, m1, p2, (p front lp, then k back lp) of next st, k1.
Again had trouble with m1. Also, I couldn't figure out how to p front lp and k back lp. Do I keep the yarn in front after I purl and knit like that, or move yarn to the back after purl and knit like that?

That's as far in the pattern as I got, since my work was not resembling a leaf, or any st I have ever used in any way, and it was just blob like.

Here is the link to the throw.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kjif-lea.html

Please help. The pattern is so cute and I really want it to look good.

Thanks,
Stefanie
stefcap is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-01-2006, 06:23 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Let's see. First, yes, you can use a slip knot for the cast on one st.

When you do the k, yo, k, just bring the yarn between the needles and then knit into the front loop again. I imagine it will be awkward to do since you have only one stitch on the needle, but I suspect it's one of those things that will look better as it gets bigger. Hopefully.

As for the m1 on the second row, there should be a thread between them since you only purled the stitches on the previous row. They may be hard to find, but they've got to be there.

For row 4, purl as you normally do, into the front loop, then bring the yarn to the back between the needles and knit into the back loop of that same stitch.

I don't think it's going to resemble much of anything until you get further along into the pattern.

Hang in there, it is very pretty.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
stefcap
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks, Ingrid, that really helps. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Stefanie
Old 02-01-2006, 09:22 PM   #4
stefcap
1st Leg of the Journey

I think there is something wrong with the pattern. I tried to make the square again, based on Ingrid's recommendations, but still had trouble. On a few rows, there were not enough sts to complete the pattern directions for that row. I would love it if someone could take a look at the pattern, and let me know if there really are errors, or if I'm reading the pattern wrong. If so, does anyone know of any corrections that were made? Also, for even rows from 14 on, it states to k the knit sts and p the p sts, as well as p the M1s and yo's. On some of the previous odd rows, there are also sl sts. It doesn't say what to do for those sl sts. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Stefanie
Old 02-01-2006, 10:29 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I'm printing it out and will take a look at it. On the pattern page itself, it says there are no corrections.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 02-01-2006, 10:53 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

At a first glance, I looked for the slipped stitches you mentioned, but they're slipped and then passed off the needle when you do a sl, k1, psso. So you'd purl that stitch, since it's a purl on the back.

I'm going to check out the rest of it now.

Also, if you look at the end of the pattern, there's a link to ask Lion directly for help on a pattern.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 02-01-2006, 11:06 PM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I did the math for the first half of the pattern and so far it works out.

The places where I can see that there might be confusion is that they don't always put () around the sl2, k1, p2sso so you might not be decreasing by two there, which is what should happen.

Every row from 1-10 increases by 2 stitches.

On row 11, it goes down by 2, to 17, but you only need 17 to get back to 19 on the next row.

After that the stitch counts go up and down at the end of the row, but there are enough for the following row.

I think, just out of curiousity and boredom, I'm going to give this a little go.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 02-01-2006, 11:39 PM   #8
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I tried it and got up to row 17 or so, and it works. It's pretty logical, too, in that the center stitch of the leaf stays the same, and the knits are knit and the purls are purled, forming definite sections. Also the yo's are on either side of the center stitch and the sl2, k1, p2sso are on that center stitch as well.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 02-02-2006, 12:16 AM   #9
stefcap
1st Leg of the Journey

WOW Ingrid. You're awesome. Thanks for the help. I think I got it now. I was mistaking the p2sso for sl2 then k the sl sts from the rt needle. 1st thing in the morning, I'm gonna give the pattern another try. Thanks for the help, again.

Stefanie
Old 09-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
Yarngeek
Casting On

Is Row #41 Correct?
I had no problems with this pattern until row #41. For some reason, I keep getting an extra 3 stitches at the end of the row. I have sent a question to LBK, but I'm not a patient knitter when I'm excited by a cool pattern. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!
Yarngeek is offline   Reply With Quote