Old 09-16-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
Delphi
Casting On

Difficulty understanding instructions...
Hello all,

I am looking for a little help with a pattern I am currently making up. It's a ballerina outfit for a teddy bear which came with Knitting magazine issue 64 in a supplement.

The instructions say the following...
ML - Place sequin on a loop. Knit into the next stitch and, before slipping the stitch off the left needle, slide a sequin up to the needle and bring the yarn to the front of the work between the needle points. Wrap the yarn around your left thumb and take it back between the needle points. Now, knit into the stitch again and then slip the stitch off the needle. You will now have 2 stitches on the right-hand needle. Cast one off by lifting one stitch over the other.

My problem is that the wool I'm using is Rowan Calmer for the main pink skirt which is too thick to put a sequin on and the sequins seem to be through the Rowan Kidsilk Haze but it doesn't say to change wools. Should I thread the sequins all on the Haze first then knit them into the Calmer? It's quite confusing for me and I can't find anything online. When I google ML, it comes up with magic loop and I have no idea what that is and also make one, which I know is wrong.

I've not been knitting long, so if this is a really simple question, apologies!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Are you supposed to be knitting with both yarns at the same time?

What is the name of the pattern? It helps if we have a link and photo if possible. Or maybe the designer?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Delphi
Casting On

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Are you supposed to be knitting with both yarns at the same time?

What is the name of the pattern? It helps if we have a link and photo if possible. Or maybe the designer?
It says with yarn A (Calmer) only. Nothing about yarn B (haze).

http://www.laughinghens.com/knitting...rnpageid=10539

This is the bear. It's by Emma King and it's called Ballerina Bear.

Thanks for replying!
Old 09-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Are you sure you're not supposed to add the haze to the calmer and knit with both when you start the skirt? the skirt looks sort of fuzzy-looking.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Mirl56 View Post
Are you sure you're not supposed to add the haze to the calmer and knit with both when you start the skirt? the skirt looks sort of fuzzy-looking.
After seeing the picture I agree. It looks like it's knit with both together. Does the pattern say anywhere about bringing in color B?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
Delphi
Casting On

It says...

Using 4mm needles and A, cast on 51 stitches.

There's no mention of yarn B, but you can see it on the skirt in the photo and it looks like the sequins are threaded through it. It's so confusing. :(

Thanks again.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Try reading forward in the pattern. Maybe the skirt is knit in 2 layers - like there is an over-skirt knit w/the kid silk haze and sequens. maybe??

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Old 09-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #8
Delphi
Casting On

Try reading forward in the pattern. Maybe the skirt is knit in 2 layers - like there is an over-skirt knit w/the kid silk haze and sequens. maybe??
Oh I hadn't thought of that... it is a very unclear pattern with this bit. The rest has been excellent and I've managed to make the cardigan, it tells me when to cast on yarn A and yarn B, etc.

I'll try to muddle through and let you know how it gets on! Thanks so much for the help! :0)
Old 09-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #9
sandy57th
Knitting the Flap

It does look like an overskirt to me. . .
sandy57th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:44 AM   #10
Mirl56
Instepping Out

OMG, I am such a doult!! I HAVE this pattern booklet - it came with a british magazine.

OK, flip back to page 15 - under Abbreaviation it defines ML, which appears to be short for Make Loop. It doesn't actually say to be using the kid silk haze here, but it has to be what you're using. It also doesn't tell you to string the sequins onto the KSH, but again, you would have to string at least enough for each row.

Back to the skirt directions, don't confuse row 5, where you m1 (make 1 increase) with row 7 where you start using the ML (make loop).

Again, it's not clear if you are holding the 2 yarns together across the row, but you'd have to be. When you get to the ML on row 7, you will do this weird stitch every other stitch across the row. Knit the next sitch but don't slide it off the left needle. Bring the KSH to the front between the needle tips, bring forward one sequin, wrap the KSH around your left thumb and then to the back between the needles. knit into the same stitch again and slide both stitches off the left needle. It says to cast off one of the 2 stitches on the right needle, I'd think of it as a pass stitch over, well, I guess that is a bind off or cast off. It's not relaly a PSSO since you don't have a slipped stitch.

THen you knit 1. Then you do the whole ML thing again. Every other stitch across the row.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks