Old 09-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
vantreysta
Ribbing the Cuff

It just doesn't make sense!
Hello! I'm new to the forum, so I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. I just started working on an advanced project, but the part that's difficult for me isn't the technique, but actually understanding the pattern. So far I think I've managed to figure it out, but now I'm completely stuck. It doesn't make any sense at all to me... The numbers just don't add up! So, I was wondering if anyone here can possibly make sense of this. It would be SUCH a relief if you could!

Use MC yarn and pick up 28 stitches knitwise along one selvedge, beginning at the tapered end. Continue working in rows as follows:
Row 1: P10, w&t.
Row 2: K6 [M1R, K1] 3 times, P1. (31 stitches)
Row 3: Sl1, P15, w&t.
...etc.

I've already picked up the stitches and done row 1, but I don't know what to do after that.

Please help!
vantreysta is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
Technically this forum is for sharing and searching for patterns and the "How-to Forum" is for questions like this, but people are always asking questions here so it's okay.

When asking questions it helps if you tell us what you're making, the name of the pattern and a link if possible. Posting just the portion you are having problems with like you have here is a good idea, too.

So you're having problems with row 2? At the end of row 1 you turned your work and are now working back on the stitches you just did. M1R is an increase so if you picked up 28 stitches and increase 3 you'll have your 31. Your row will look like this:

Knit 6, increase, knit 1, inc, k1, inc, k1, purl 1

Is that what you needed to know? If you don't know what M1R is go to the video/increases section and you can find it there.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
vantreysta
Ribbing the Cuff

Ok, thank you for your reply, I'll repost this in the How-To Forum!

My problem isn't understanding the terms. So, do I start increasing when I knit back on the row I just w&t on?

So far what I've done is purl 10, wrapped and turned, knitted back to the end, and then purled the entire row of 28, picking up the wrap. Is the pattern missing a bracket? Am I supposed to repeat the K6, too?
Old 09-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
vantreysta
Ribbing the Cuff

It just doesn't make sense!
Hello! I just started working on an advanced project, but the part that's difficult for me isn't the technique, but actually understanding the pattern. So far I think I've managed to figure it out, but now I'm completely stuck. It doesn't make any sense at all to me... The numbers just don't add up! So, I was wondering if anyone here can possibly make sense of this. It would be SUCH a relief if you could!

Use MC yarn and pick up 28 stitches knitwise along one selvedge, beginning at the tapered end. Continue working in rows as follows:
Row 4: K9, [K1, M1R, K1] 3 times, P1. (34 stitches)
Row 5: Sl1, P21, w&t.
Row 6: K12, [K2, M1R, K2] 3 times, P1. (37 stitches)
etc...

I understand all of the knitting terms and have successfully worked with them before. What I don't understand is how all the stitches add up in row 2. I've already picked up the stitches and done row 1 by purling 10, wrapping and turning and then knitting all the way to the end, then purling the entire row. I don't know what to do after that. Am I supposed to K6, M1R, K7, M1R, K7, M1R, P1? How do I end up with 31 stitches by the end of row 2?

Please help!
Old 09-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
I merged the two posts so it's here now. Since you added info I've left both your original posts. We still don't know what you're making so if you could post that info along with a link if you have it it would help.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
vantreysta
Ribbing the Cuff

Ok, sorry! I'm making an anglerfish. I can find a photo of the finished product, but I'm not sure if it will help much...

Old 09-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
farmwife'n'mama
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by vantreysta View Post
I understand all of the knitting terms and have successfully worked with them before. What I don't understand is how all the stitches add up in row 2. I've already picked up the stitches and done row 1 by purling 10, wrapping and turning and then knitting all the way to the end, then purling the entire row. I don't know what to do after that. Am I supposed to K6, M1R, K7, M1R, K7, M1R, P1? How do I end up with 31 stitches by the end of row 2?

Please help!

So you've picked up 28 stitches, then purled 10 and w&t. Then in row 2 you've Knit 6 stitches and then [M1R, K1] 3 times, and finally P1. This should have "used up" the 10 stitches you purled on row 1. You should have also made 3 stitches in row 2 which added to the 28 you first picked is a total of 31 stitches. Does that make sense?
And another baby blessing due in July 2010!!!
Time to start knitting for the new baby!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
farmwife'n'mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
MMario
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by vantreysta View Post

Row 4: K9, [K1, M1R, K1] 3 times, P1. (34 stitches)
Row 5: Sl1, P21, w&t.
Row 6: K12, [K2, M1R, K2] 3 times, P1. (37 stitches)
etc...

...I've already picked up the stitches and done row 1 by purling 10, wrapping and turning and then knitting all the way to the end, then purling the entire row. I don't know what to do after that.
Pardon me if I am confused, but why diid you insert the two additional rows?

After working row 1, and making your turn, you work row two across the 10 stitches worked in row one. The three m1's added to your cast on produce the 31 stitches TOTAL.

MMario
Old 09-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I agree with Mario. After you do the 10 sts on row 1, you wrap and turn only, don't purl back to the beginning of the row. Then do Row 2 on the 10 sts only, but you have added 3 sts to the beginning 28 so there's now 31 sts. Then you do row 3 over 16 sts (sl 1, plus p15) and w&t again. Row 4 is done over the 16sts, with another 3 added. And so on.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
vantreysta
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate your help.