Old 09-24-2009, 08:40 AM   #11
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
Yup I, too, will take out my knitting just about anywhere. If I know I'm only going to have to wait 5-10 min I will usually take a book instead though. But honestly, I'll take it out anywhere and knit. It's amazing the conversations that can start up when you are KIP.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #12
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

KIP, Irish style:

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
That's a lovely place to knit, Zina!

I've knit in coffee shops like Starbucks, doctors offices and on a bench in front of a store waiting for my daughter to show up as well as my LYS on Friday nights and always in front of the TV. I've never knit in a restaurant because that's a time I focus on whoever is there with me. I try to balance my knitting with personal attention like that.

I've never come across anyone who things it's rude or anything. Most people are very intrigued and interested in what you're doing.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #14
KathleenG
1st Leg of the Journey

I was in the doctor's office with my Dad in Puerto Rico, and knitting a sock, and this man (in his fifties) came up to me, and he was so amazed: He said he hadn't seen anyone knit a sock since he was a child at his grandmother's knee! He was thrilled to see it!
KathleenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #15
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

believe it or not, people WILL eventually get used to seeing you with your knitting. And the moment you show up somewhere without it, they will invariably ask, "where's your knitting?!" LOL! =))
Old 09-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #16
MMario
Turning the Heel

True!
Old 09-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #17
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by MoniDew View Post
believe it or not, people WILL eventually get used to seeing you with your knitting. And the moment you show up somewhere without it, they will invariably ask, "where's your knitting?!" LOL! =))
Yep! I spent a tremendous amount of time waiting for my dd in band rehearsals last year. I heard through the grapevine that a rather famous conductor that she studied under, who teaches a guy who knows my son...anyway, my name came up in a lesson and the guy said, "That woman is always knitting!"

The kids at my kids' college (where I waited for rehearsals) were always interested. In fact, at one concert, I saw a girl across the concert hall knitting. My dd said, "She said you gave her courage to knit in the concert hall." Soon there were a couple of them doing it. So, it can spread, too.

I do try to be considerate in social situations. No clicking needles during a concert, or elbowing the people next to me, and though I knit at a restaurant when my dh and I go out, I wouldn't with other people, most likely.

As someone upthread said, people are more important and if someone feels they don't have my full attention, I'd rather just not knit.

But any waiting time always has me knitting.

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #18
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

KIP Dentist, Soccer Practice, and parts of Church Service.

While waiting in the dentist office for my children's to be done with their cleanings, the receptionist nearly vaulted over the counter to see what I was knitting.

She was an older lady and from her pleasantly surprised expression, I gathered she had not seen a man knit at least not in a long time. I would guess she could be old enough to remember WW II as a child. So male knitters might have been known to her among her older siblings, uncles, or grand parents.

At least it looked to me like she was reacting like she was seeing me practice a "long lost craft."

Other places:
I knit at soccer practice, but not at games.
I've knit while my wife drives.
I've knit in church with the minister's permission.
I've knit during break times at work.
I've knit in the back yard, on our deck.
I've knit in our front yard, while watching my children ride bikes back and forth on the street.
I've tried to knit at in the waiting room at my eye doctor, but they called me back too soon.

I can't think of any other places at this time.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:48 PM   #19
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Now, Jack, would that be your minister's permission, or his blessing?

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #20
Irishmam
1st Leg of the Journey

I knit in the car while I wait for my daughter to come out of school and often bring it with me when my kids go to the playground for when they get a good game going that sooo does not include me.

I have also had a few facinated comments by my husband's friends if they come to the house - most of them have not seen anyone knit for years.

Feel the fear and knit it anyway!

Irishmam