Old 09-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

What to knit with silk yarn?
Well well.

I was looking for some special yarn, because I wanted to make a scarf for a friend, but he has sensible skin, so it should be as un-itchy as possible, found some, and also found some silk yarn ("Silk" by "Lang yarns"), and I couldn't resist the urge to buy some, but now I don't know what I could knit or crochet with it...

Any ideas?

I'm NOT a "miss", I'm a lady!
blueygh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

How much did you get? I love silk yarns. Anything that you have to wear directly on your skin is lurvely in silk. A little cami or t-shirt style is divine in silk. So are little cardi's, you want to look for things that need really nice hand and drape.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
lol...I was going to say...I have only seen two silk yarns (one diamond, and the other was fiddlesticks) I don't like the feel of silk yarn at all..I find it...I don't know...crunchie...I like it in blends....but not 100% silk....

That being said...I have seen a lovely cardigan pattern....but it was a very lacy and open type thing....

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
mwhite
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by blueygh2 View Post
Well well.

I was looking for some special yarn, because I wanted to make a scarf for a friend, but he has sensible skin, so it should be as un-itchy as possible, found some, and also found some silk yarn ("Silk" by "Lang yarns"), and I couldn't resist the urge to buy some, but now I don't know what I could knit or crochet with it...

Any ideas?
YUMMMMMM...love silk and haven't found a suitable pattern yet but it sure is fun to pull out and feel! I like Global Traveler's idea of something like a tee or pretty cardi.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
farmgirl
1st Leg of the Journey

How much of the yarn do you have? You might want to do a cowl if you don't have as much and knitting will take less yarn than crocheting. Ravelry has some great patterns for scarves and cowls in DK weight yarn. The pics of that yarn look yummy, I can't imagine how soft it must be!!!

Lori
"Whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your might." -Ecclesiastes 9:10
farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote