Old 09-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
LindaO6
Casting On

Help with term "PS = Pass Stitch"
I am a beginner knitter and have started with a cable rim hat pattern. I'm quite perplexed with one of the instructions; "PS = Pass Stitch". Is she simply slipping the stitch, untouched, from the left needle to the right?

"I knitted the PS as a pass stitch or in my example as a slip stitch as in "slip stitch as to pearl", even though I was doing a knit stitch. This automatically folded the brim, as the pass stitch became elongated and "tacked" the brim in several places. If I make that hat again, I will follow the same procedure."

Here is the link to the pattern if that is helpful:
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/knitting/ski-hat.shtml

Thanks in advance.

Linda
LindaO6 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I have no idea and it sounds like everyone is guessing. I don't know why the designer didn't explain what she had in mind since she was inventing a new abbreviation.

This hat is a bit of a mystery because you can't do a cable around your head without working it first over a few stitches and then joining it into a band and picking up stitches to continue the hat. Nevertheless the designer says nothing about anything of the sort. I think she has devised some way to do the impossible. :-) (this happens in knitting) LOL

In the quote above, that was someones interpretation of what she may have meant and what she apparently did; it sounds like all she is saying is that the PS is slipping a stitch purl wise.

Quote:
Is she simply slipping the stitch, untouched, from the left needle to the right?
That seems to be what she is saying. If so why didn't the designer just say so; there is a standard abbreviation for a sl st?

Insert your needle as though you were going to purl the stitch, but just slide it unworked to the right hand needle. Give it a shot and see what happens. You will probably have to do quite a bit to really see what is happening if anything.

I think I would find another pattern. LOL
Old 09-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
LindaO6
Casting On

Thanks Marigold! Leave it to me to pick a "customized" pattern for my first one. Yikes. LOL

I think I'm going to give it a shot and see how far I get.

Thanks for your input. Very helpful.
Linda
LindaO6 is offline   Reply With Quote