Old 10-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
vandafl
Casting On

How to do "WTS" technique when Double Knitting
Can't get this right!???

"Double Knit Bears" - Pattern from Free-Kintting-Pattern.com

For 3 days I've been trying and retrying to make this bear and I keep getting stuck at the same place. I haven't been able to find a video to help or any instruction that helps me out with my problem...hopefully someone here can. I'm sure this is simple once you know how to do it but I am not there yet.

I'm working up from the feet and have gotten to the Nose where the "WTS" technique comes to play. This is all double knit to this point on 2 needles, having just finished a Slip and Knit around once and insuring that the sides are not joined anywhere.

Now I'm to join nose color (NC), Sl1, knit-slip across 1 row, turn.

Wiht yarn to front, Sl 2, (p1,sl1) across to last NC stitch, *Yarn to back, sl st temporarily to right needle, bring yarn to front, sl st back to left needle, turn*

- With yarn to back, sl1, knit-slip across until 2 NC sts on left needle, wrap st, turn.
- Purl-slip until 2NC sts left, wrap st, turn.
- Knit-slip until 3NC sts left, wrap st, turn.
- Purl-slip until 3 NC sts left, wrap st, turn.

Continue in this manner, working to one more st from end each turn until you are at the center, then reverse the process working to one less st from end each turn until, on last row, you work across all NC sts on needle. Cut NC yarn.

Pick up Main color and return to basic knit-slip pattern working all sts, front and back, for 2 rows.

At this point I check my work and always find that I have closed up the sides with the wraps. I am only working the Nose stitches and slipping the alternate (Main) stitches which are the wrap stitches but this is always where the seam happens.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks for any help!
Vandafl
vandafl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
gknina
Casting On

Hi..
I am trying to make my teddy bear and i really can't understant the "WTS" technique (I don't speak very good the english language)
Can anyone upload photos of how to do this??Itwould be very helpfull..
thank you
gknina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,502 Times in 3,177 Posts
"At this point I check my work and always find that I have closed up the sides with the wraps. I am only working the Nose stitches and slipping the alternate (Main) stitches which are the wrap stitches but this is always where the seam happens."

I'm not sure what you're doing wrong without putting it on the needles myself but the instructions do warn:
"If you mess up in the knit-slip sequence you will close your tube and nothing will work."
Is it possible that the knit-slip sequence is going off at the turn? I would try it once more and after each turn make sure that you're not connecting and causing a seam. I assume that even the nose doesn't have a seam but is open to the rest of the bear.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,502 Times in 3,177 Posts
Originally Posted by gknina View Post
Hi..
I am trying to make my teddy bear and i really can't understant the "WTS" technique (I don't speak very good the english language)
Can anyone upload photos of how to do this??Itwould be very helpfull..
thank you
See if this video from the Advanced Techs helps with the WTS.
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

The problem is that you are not moving the yarn forward and back appropriately so as to avoid wrapping up the back side sts, which are being slipped, as you create the nose on the front side.

When working a front st the yarn can be held in front to purl or back to knit. When slipping a back st the yarn needs to be held in front of the back stitch (i.e.between the front and back pieces). If you leave the yarn in back it will end up on the outside of the piece (i.e. rs of the back), making it visible from the outside and interlocking your two sides.
Before doing the WTS you need to make sure to slip the prior back st wyif before wrapping the next front st, then turning and working your way back.

If you are having trouble, you may find that temporarily separating the back and front stitches while you work the nose may help. Slip all the front stitches onto a needle placing the back sts on a holder. Follow the pattern to work the nose (using only the front stitches). When done place all of the stitches back on a single needle (alternating front and back) and resume your double knitting.

Here is a post I did elsewhere about a similar problem.
http://www.knittingforums.com/viewto...ghlight=#12912

Hope this helps.

Last edited by RochesterKnitter : 04-13-2012 at 09:33 AM.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
gknina
Casting On

Thank you veeeeeeeeeeery much
gknina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:47 AM   #7
leonora
Casting On

Double Knitting
Hello does anyone can help me how to do 3 to 4 colors on double knitting?
leonora is offline   Reply With Quote