Old 10-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
UruzPhoenix
1st Leg of the Journey

Ever notice how....
after working with wool for a while it starts feeling softer and softer.... then you go to knit with arcryllic (I'm making a top down raglan baby sweater using Caron Simply Soft) it feels really plasticy and almost makes you want to grind your teeth???

The only reasons I'm using the Caron Simply Soft is 1. i already have it in my stash (trying to weed the arcryllics out), 2. It's a baby sweater, meaning lots of spitting up on it, lots of washing it out, and 3. I'm going to be selling it (and a few other things... going to get them made first then set up an etsy account and have a stock pile to go for the craft fairs next fall).

I can't wait to have this sweater done, this stuff's awful (which is funny since i used to love it, i've even made sweaters before using red heart super saver!) but I don't know which wool would be good to use in the future.... the reviews i've read said that the lion brand wool-ease pills pretty badly after a few washes (any second opinions??)

Phoenix
UruzPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Mike
Working the Gusset

No, not really. Especially not with Simply Soft which I think feels softer than wool.

I just went from a Simply Soft sweater to a Red Heart Super Saver afghan and while the Red Heart is rougher it's nothing major.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (10-10-2009)
Old 10-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
No, never noticed that. I hate RHSS as I find it hurts my hands after awhile...like they've been sandpapered, but I never noticed the plasticy feel.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (10-10-2009)
Old 10-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

What I particularly dislike about it is the way it squeaks when you knit with it. Puts my teeth on edge.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I agree with Mike, there's a lot of acrylics that feel softer than most wools. Merino is softer than other wools, but still, some acrylics are softer than it is. And I've never had acrylic yarn 'squeak'; could be that happens when it's knit at a tight gauge.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (10-10-2009)
Old 10-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
UruzPhoenix
1st Leg of the Journey

the simply soft is softer than the red heart, but i'm finding the simply soft to feel plasticy (and it's splitting to no end right now... size 7 needles)...

i've spent the last few months working with nothing but wool... and i love the feel of wool (which is funny because I hated it growing up, it always felt scratchy and made me itch).

oh well, sweater's 1/2 done, thinking about returning whatever simply soft i have in my stash that's never been used (i have a bunch of the simply soft shadows) with the labels on that's still new and then whatever i have for partials i'm giving to my sister who works with project linus.
UruzPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Soft yarns, even wools, are soft because they're twisted looser and so are more prone to splitting. I've found with using a larger needle that it doesn't split as badly as using the conventional size needles, 7-9.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #8
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Phoenix, I know what you mean. I like the elann and knitpicks superwash wools for kids clothes- still washable, and still inexpensive.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
Originally Posted by globaltraveler View Post
What I particularly dislike about it is the way it squeaks when you knit with it.
Originally Posted by suzeeq
And I've never had acrylic yarn 'squeak'; could be that happens when it's knit at a tight gauge.
I have never, ever had acrylic squeak. I knit at the normal gauge, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Maybe it's just some knitter's perceptions, or the needles they use.