Old 10-14-2009, 01:42 AM   #1
betsyneedsalife
Casting On

Help plz- Instr say "ending with a wrong side row"
I am so confused.
When u complete the row and the needle with the work is in your left hand...what side is facing you for it to be finishing on a wrong side row?
can someone explain this to me in an easy to remember manner?

when they say next row- wrong side...how can i tell what they mean?
I know there must be an easy way to know this......but I don't. ha.

Thanks anyone for any help, that would save me another trip to the knitting store to ask yet another question.
betsyneedsalife is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-14-2009, 04:05 AM   #2
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

When you finish knitting a row, the needle with the work is in your right hand. Then you pass it back to your left hand to start a new row. Each time a different side will be facing you - once the Right side and then the Wrong side. Usually but not always, when knitting in stockinette - the right side is the knits and the wrong one is the purls. When instructions say "ending with a wrong side row" it means you need to do the wrong side row and then follow further instructions.
I hope it helps and i made it somehow understandable
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:18 AM   #3
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
The cast on row is not the right side or the wrong side yet.
That is determined by the pattern.

Some patterns say that the next row is the right side. Others specify that the next row is the wrong side. Some patterns don't tell you which side is which, and you'll be able to see which side is the right side after you get started.

The right side is the side that will be facing the public. For example, the outside of a sweater is the right side. The inside of a sweater is the wrong side.

Some patterns don't have a right side, because they are the reversible.

Just trust the pattern, and wait to see what it says.

Good luck with your knitting!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

If right and wrong side matters, your pattern will indicate which rows are the wrong side rows. When "ending on a wrong side row," you do exactly that....you work a WS row and end there. Then you read the next instruction and follow that (the next instruction will be on the RS).

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Usually the pattern will say - Row 1 (RS) - or something to indicate which is which. In stockinette st, it may not, the RS is the knit row and WS is the purl row. So if it says 'repeat these rows for 3", ending with a WS row' you will finish the WS row, then the next row, both in your knitting and the pattern, will be done on the RS.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Ellieblue
Knitting the Flap

The one that I have to think about is"with yarn in front or back" I wish they would say "with yarn toward you or away from from you". am I the only one confused by these instructions?
Old 10-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
betsyneedsalife
Casting On

I am doing a baby sweater. The pattern has been a cable 4 row pattern for awhile now. Cable, purls, knits and purls to complete the cable. (the knit row and purl rows are earlier) So there is a definite right and wrong side.
The last row I completed, bringing the work to the required length was a primarily purl row....that row finishes with a KPK tor a trim onto which the front zipper will eventually attach, being the left breast side of the front of the sweater.

The next inst says.....Patt 34 and slip 3sts onto a safety pin for the collar....
My problem?
I feel the last 3 sts they are referring to are the knk.....which would b the 1st 3 sts of this row.
the next row says to: (wrong side) bind off the 4 sts of cable working p2tog tbl on center 2 sts, patt to end.
Patt 1 row.

Is it possible I am not finished on the wrong side?
Thanks for your help.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
This would be done on a RS row, and it would be the last 3 sts of the row. The next row is done on the WS.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

I don't know whether or not you will find this useful, but I thought I'd mention that even though I've been knitting for a few years now, I still mark the right side of my knitting with one of those coiless plastic safety pins.

When I first started knitting someone told me to do this and it has helped me. When I first start a pattern and it tells me which side is the right side, I put one of those pins in a stitch in that row.

Then, if I have to lay my knitting down for some reason, I don't have to spend time looking at the knitting to see which row I'm on (right side or wrong side, but of course you still need to keep up with the row count).

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry
McKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
Sleepy9
Casting On

Knittingnat,

Thank you for explaining this. This is precisely where I'm at in a pattern. "...ending with a wrong side row". I did not know if that meant the ws was facing me or the rs was facing me.

Now I know. Thank you again!
Sleepy9 is offline   Reply With Quote