Old 10-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
sewsheknits
Casting On

Help with Last Minute Gifts Chevron Scarf?
I'm attempting my first Chevron scarf. The pattern looks simple enough. I am familiar with the stitches involved. I must be reading the pattern incorrectly, though because I end up with too few stitches in each row due to the decreases I'm using.

Row 1:Change to B. [k2tog] 4 times, *[kf&b) 8 times, [k2tog] 8 times; repeat from *, ending last repeat {k2tog} 4 times.

The next three rows are purl, knit, purl rows so they are straight forward. However, when I come back to repeat Row 1, do I start with the [k2tog] 4 times or just complete the stitches inside the *? If I continue to add the "[k2tog] 4 times", I shorten the row each time and will end up with a very thin scarf, correct?

I hope I've explained my confusion correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
sewsheknits is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-16-2009, 12:55 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The kfb 8 times increases your sts to offset the k2tog decreases. So yes, repeat all of row 1 every time you do it. If you've knit the row and have less sts, you're missing increases or doing too many decreases somewhere.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by sewsheknits View Post
I'm attempting my first Chevron scarf. The pattern looks simple enough. I am familiar with the stitches involved. I must be reading the pattern incorrectly, though because I end up with too few stitches in each row due to the decreases I'm using.

Row 1:Change to B. [k2tog] 4 times, *[kf&b) 8 times, [k2tog] 8 times; repeat from *, ending last repeat {k2tog} 4 times.

The next three rows are purl, knit, purl rows so they are straight forward. However, when I come back to repeat Row 1, do I start with the [k2tog] 4 times or just complete the stitches inside the *? If I continue to add the "[k2tog] 4 times", I shorten the row each time and will end up with a very thin scarf, correct?

I hope I've explained my confusion correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

As I understand it, ending last repeat {k2tog} 4 times. would mean you start the regular repeat [KFB] 8 times then option to [k2tog] 4 times (instead of 8) on the last repeat, that way the starting [k2tog] 4 times is balanced by the 8 increase of the last repeat an the 4 decreases of the end.

My guess is you followed the 8 dec of the last repeat with 4 dec leaving you 8 sts short after row 1.

the pattern begins by dec 4 (-4) then repeat of (+8-8) so finish with a (+8-4) for an even par on the stitch count for row 1.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote