Old 10-22-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

Is there a perfect interchangeable set?
I have assorted circs I've bought over the years, but I still find myself buying a different brand in a different length every now and then. So I'm in the market for a set of interchangeable needles.

I know each person has their favourite, and personal preference varies. But from the reviews I've found, all of the sets seem to have at least one shortcoming:

Addis sound very nice, but I'm really struggling to justify the price no matter how good they may be. Are they really THAT good?

Hiya hiya appeal to me. Apparently a great cable & join. But I hear the tips are only 4" long and they look less pointy than KP Options, so I'm not so sure anymore. I think that would really bother me.

KP Options also seem to have a great cable & join. They have a longer pointier tip than hiya hiya, so it looks like they win. But it sounds like they need frequent re-tightening while in use and I'll need to keep the customer service # handy (edited to add: for broken cables, detached connected ends). Are they worth these hassles?
(Harmony & Zephyr are just a different material with the same cable & join, right?)

Denise and/or Boye are described as adequate, but the cable/tip joins apparently don't fit that well. I have a set of bamboo circs with a join that catches which really frustrates me, so those are out.

I was excited to think about getting a set. But it seems like I'll be settling, no matter which set I choose. Not so exciting any more.

Last edited by gotta knit : 10-23-2009 at 12:31 PM.
gotta knit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Well, you already know the answer to this question. No. There is no perfect set. They all have occasional problems and they have their good side, too.

For interchangeables..I have two sets. Denise and Options. Options wins hands down. I absolutely love them AND I've never, ever had a needle come unscrewed. You can use one of those shelf liner things (I cut a 3 in square) and use that to tighten and loosen. No problems. I like that I can buy needles and cables singly if I want to..and I have in the sizes I use most. Their customer service is outstanding and they have helped the few times I've had an issue. For my money, knowing that nothing is perfect there is no contest.

Oh for the Denise I liked them, but I never liked the cable. Too fat and not as flexible.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (10-22-2009), jillian0922 (10-23-2009)
Old 10-22-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
Craw
Knitting the Flap

You're right when you say there's no perfect set. Btw, I don't hear all that much about the Options coming unscrewed while knitting. It's never happened to me. You just have to use the key properly and that won't happen. The cables breaking are another story. Still, they are always cheerfully replaced.

All the things you've mentioned is what's kept me from buying any particular set. I try this brand and that brand as I need them. The latest set I'm looking into is Webs' own brand of bamboo interchangeables. They will soon be selling individual tips and cables and when they do, I'll get to try them out.

P.S. I think the Addi are worth every penny. I only have some of the fixed circulars myself but if I could, I'd buy the set. I even find myself planning projects to fit the Addi needles I do have because I enjoy working with them so much.
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craw For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (10-22-2009)
Old 10-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
I think you just have to find the set that's perfect for YOU. I love my Options and Harmonies. Yes, there are occasional problems, but they are few and far between for me - and I usually knit daily. Considering Knit Picks customer service, I'm very happy.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WandaT For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (10-22-2009)
Old 10-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

It was late when I posted this. I think I actually meant to ask for an ideal set.

Thanks Jan & Wanda, I am leaning heavily toward the Options. Buying individual tips & cables is important, what I also liked about the hiya hiyas.

Craw, I hadn't seen the Webs bamboos. They look like a REALLY nice set. Unfortunately, the tips are short at 4 & 1/8".
Old 10-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I would also like to point out again that I believe the problems with cables breaking isn't as prevalent as you'd think from reading forums. It does happen occasionally, and sometimes a needle or cable can have thread issues, but you gotta remember that the people with a problem post about it whereas the people who don't have problems don't. Considering the number of people that have them I really think it's not a huge issue.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 10-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Yeah, I have to chime in with Jan. When your cable breaks or comes loose from the join, it's a pain!

But seriously, high-balling the estimate, I'll bet I've read maybe 50-75 people complaining about that happening. If you figure I don't read that often and I've missed a bunch, multiply even by 10, and you're talking 500-750 people with problems. (not a scientific way of making a determination, of course, but you get the idea). I'm pretty sure they've sold WAY more sets than that, or they wouldn't still be in business!

I've bought two sets of KP interchangeables--one Harmony and one Options, and the only problem I've ever had with KP is a small sock needle coming loose--a fixed circ, not even an interchangeable! I've had mine for about 2 1/2 years for the Options and about 1 1/2 years for the Harmonies, and i knit pretty regularly, if not as prolifically as some on these boards!

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa R. For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (10-23-2009)
Old 10-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Hiya Hiya interchangeables are also short. I like them, but they do come untwisted (I understand a spot of dental wax will fix it but haven't been where they sell any yet -- until now!), and they are short. Also, I've noticed that the sts sometimes hang up on the ends every now and again. Other than that, I like the HH. I also own KP sets and like them as well. Am waiting to try Addi when I get into Germany, where they're cheaper -- I love Addi's fixed needles!

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
gotta knit (10-23-2009)
Old 10-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

I really wish there was a way to TRY them before deciding. I'm worried about making a decision I'm unhappy with in the end.

There's a shop about an hour from me that sells the Addis, so I might go look. (The price is acceptable if they're a birthday gift, right?!) I'm also tempted to order a single set of tips and a longer cable from KP for a chance to try them, despite the shipping cost.

What factor finally helped you decide?
Old 10-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Not sure who you mean by "you" in that last statement, but helped me decided on Options was price, customer service, and the fact that thousands of other users love them.

BTW..you can buy a singly to try them. That's what I did.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~