Old 10-26-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
dragonberry
Casting On

please help, i don't get what i'm suppossed to do
Hi, I got this pattern online for a table runner, but there's a part that makes no sense to me, can someone please help me translate it into beginner knitter speak?

insert the tip of
the right hand needle through the first stitch
as if to purl, K, I get that knit the 2nd stitch and leave on
the needle, which needle? the right or the left? then knit the first stitch through the
back of the loop, what loop? slip both stitches tog from the
left hand needle;How did they end up on the left hand needle?

Thank you in advance for any help with this!!
dragonberry is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-26-2009, 01:22 AM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I don't know. Those sound like weird directions to me. Are you sure you quoted it correctly. Check to be sure and let us know. Type it again without your comments perhaps.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:25 AM   #3
dragonberry
Casting On

I copied and pasted straight from the pattern instructions. Here they are again though. Glad i'm not the only one who doesn't understand!

* insert the tip of
as if to purl, knit the 2nd stitch and leave on
the needle, then knit the first stitch through the
back of the loop, slip both stitches tog from the
left hand needle; rep from *
Row 7: Using 5mm needle and B purl.
Row 8: Using 3.75mm needle and B, k1, *knit
2nd st through first st, then knit first st in back
of loop as before; rep from * across row to last
st, k1.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:18 AM   #4
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanks. That helped a lot. The first post, the part that made it the most confusing was this: "as if to purl, k, I get that knit the 2nd stitch and leave on". The part you had in green, especially the "k".

But I have to admit I have never seen instructions like these, but I think I get what they want you to do now.

Quote:
* insert the tip of
as if to purl, knit the 2nd stitch and leave on
the needle, then knit the first stitch through the
back of the loop, slip both stitches tog from the
left hand needle; rep from *
Okay, I'll try to explain. This maneuver makes an increase with a sort of yarn over. 2 stitches are increased to 3. I know this all sounds impossible to do, but try it and it does work. With the yarn in back, insert the right hand needle into the first stitch just like you were going to purl it (as it says in the directions for row 8, you are going to knit the second stitch through the first stitch) then keep going with the RH needle tip over to the 2nd st on the LH needle and enter that stitch in a knit fashion. Now just yarn around the RH needle tip like you usually do to knit because that is what you are going to do. You reach through the first stitch purlwise and knit the second stitch, but don't slide anything off the LH needle yet.

At this point the RH needle is in front of the LH needle, because you just pulled up a stitch loop and stopped right there. Now twist the RH needle over so that you can knit the first stitch (the one you already went through purlwise) behind the needle. In other words you knit that first stitch through the back loop. If you are not familiar with ktbl look it up on this site or somewhere else and try it on a regular stitch before you tackle this. After you have completed that knit tbl stitch by wrapping and pulling up a stitch loop, go ahead and slip the whole works that you have been working into off the LH needle. You did it!! You will have 3 stitches where you had 2 before and the first one is a yarn over made in an unusual way.

On row 8 you will do the same thing again, but the directions are shortened there, they just call it:
Quote:
knit 2nd st through first st, then knit first st in back of loop as before;
I hope I made it clear. If not, ask again, and I'll see if I can clear up any part I didn't make plain. It's kind of fun to learn something totally new.

On row 7, the return row you purl all three stitch loops.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:18 AM   #5
dragonberry
Casting On

well, i'm not getting three stitches out of it, but i think i figured it out, it looks like a much holier version of the criss cross stitch in the picture. thank you soooo much!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

I wondered if the pattern called for an inc since it is a table runner. Does the stitch count need to stay the same?
Quote:
it looks like a much holier version of the criss cross stitch in the picture.
Is what you are coming up with more than 3 stitches or less? Is it supposed to look like the picture, or are they showing a different stitch?

If what you are doing is different than what I said and it seems to be right, I would like to know where I got it wrong. For my education. :-)
Old 10-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yep, it's not an inc, but just a twisted stitch and it looks as though dragonberry figured it out. By entering the first st as if to purl, it's in place to knit it through the back loop after you knit the 2nd st.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Quote:
Yep, it's not an inc, but just a twisted stitch and it looks as though dragonberry figured it out. By entering the first st as if to purl, it's in place to knit it through the back loop after you knit the 2nd st.
Sue, could you walk me through it a bit more? I'm not getting how to not make it inc.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
WildMountainHoney
Turning the Heel

M, I had to grab my needles and yarn and try this one, since it is very different from any twist I've done before! It is not an increase.

So, you insert through the first stitch purl wise, then tip through the front leg of 2nd stitch on left needle, and pull through a knit, keeping all stitches on left needles. NOW, you don't tip all the way around the first stitch, there is no yarn over. You need to take the right needle tip in between the 2nd and first stitches back to the back, and, there, your right needle is already through that first stitch's back loop, and you form your knit, pull it through, and drop both stitches off left needle.

Hmmmm, that makes more sense when I'm doing it, then when I'm writing it! Basically, though, after you knit the 2nd stitch, you take the right needle back to the back, but not around.

OTN:
Bayerische Socks by Eunny Jang in Knit Picks Risata (for ME!)
in queue: Swirl glittens; lacy raglan for me; new cabled sweater for dh

WildMountainHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It's pretty clear from the actual instructions that you're knitting each stitch just once.....

"* insert the tip of the right hand needle through the first stitch as if to purl, knit the 2nd stitch and leave on the needle, then knit the first stitch through the back of the loop, slip both stitches tog from the left hand needle; rep from *"

You reach in through the first st to knit the next st, then you knit the first st in the back loop. That's only 2 sts. The first time she posted it, she had put a K in there, but that was in her colored comments, short for 'OK'.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote