Old 10-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
ndaisy
Ribbing the Cuff

Home Made Cable Needles and needles
Trying to find the measurements and diameter for making my own cable needles... All I find is small med and large on line. Anyone have diameter and lenghts for these.

From the video it said average lengith for DPNS are about 8 or so.. the ones I bought are 7....I want to make socks..says to use a size 3....I just dont like the aluminum.. and want to make my own... dowl is so cheap.. lord what a find.

thanks for all your help.. anything to save money for my crafting fixes

Cheri
ndaisy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Like this?
http://www.fibergypsy.com/common/needles.shtml

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I guess the distinctions S, M, L are a little frustrating but they are accurate enough for the use they are being put to. The cable needle doesn't size the stitches only holds them for a few seconds while you work the cable. I like my cable needles to be a little smaller than the needle I'm knitting with, but they can be the same size or anything smaller as long as you can work from them. I think if the CN is too small compared to the knitting needle it is hard to work with it.

You can use most anything that has two ends so that you can both put the stitches on it and take them off. (Sometimes I work by slipping the stitches to the CN and then slipping them back to the left needle to knit them.) I think a tooth pick would work for fine yarn. I also use those old plastic picks they used to poke through brush rollers (for hair). Sometimes I use my tapestry needle. A regular dpn will work. Or a length of dowel the size or a little smaller than the needle you are knitting with. You only need about three sizes--something fine for the smaller needles, something medium sized for the middle range of needles and something big for the large needles.

I hope that is of some help.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
ndaisy
Ribbing the Cuff

Cable Needles
Thanks for your responses.. lol.. I used a bamboo stick yesterday to play with my cable stitch.. learning it all.. making swatches of everything I can.... thanks again
Old 10-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
ndaisy
Ribbing the Cuff

Cables
Oh that is a great chart you sent.. thank you so much