Old 11-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Chanteuse56
Casting On

Want to get it right before I go any farther!
I've made some easy stuff but I can still get very confused about following a pattern.

I'm making a neck warmer . . . kind of a short scarf-like thing with a hole in the middle to tie it together. Anyway, I started with 200 stitches worked in stockinette until piece measures 3" ending in a WS row - that was fine. Then decrease to 100 stitches by purling 2 together - no problem. Work in k1, p1 ribbing until piece measures 3 1/2" - okay.

Then, for the keyhole opening, the pattern said (and I quote), "Row 1 (RS): *K1, p1; repeat from * until 18 sts rem, BO next 16 sts, cont in rib to end of row." Now doesn't that mean that the end of row is just 2 stitches? If you work until there are 18 stitches remaining and then bind off 16 stitches, don't you just have 2 stitches left?

The pattern continues, "Row2: *K1, p1; rep from * to bound off sts. Co 16 sts over bound-off sts using backward-loop method, cont in rib to end of row". So, when you K1, p1 to bound off stitches, isn't that just 2 stitches?

It seems crazy that the pattern wouldn't just say something like k1, p1 until 18 stitches remain, bind over 16 stitches, k1, p1 for last 2 stitches. Or for the next row, K1, p1 for first two stitches then cast on 16 stitches.

Am I reading this correctly? I don't want to got any farther until I know for sure.

Thanks! Cathy
Chanteuse56 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Yes, you are reading it the way I would. I don't know why they sometimes choose a seemingly more complex way to write something out.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
Chanteuse56
Casting On

Thank you! I thought that I had it right but I just start second guessing myself.

Cathy
Chanteuse56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chanteuse56 For This Useful Post:
MerigoldinWA (11-02-2009)