Old 11-06-2009, 04:14 AM   #1
cheekymunky
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to cheekymunky
Need help please learning the basic knit stitch. I'm left handed
Hi, I'm just learning how to knit and the kit I bought hoping to help me learn has extremely difficult diagrams. I ended up having to go online and looking videos on how to cast on, which I'm pretty sure I have down pat but it's the next step of learning the basic knit stitch I'm having extreme difficulty with. I've looked up videos and they moved way to fast for me to really see what they were doing. I'm left handed which is making it more difficult because I have to do everything opposite from what I'm told. I've even tried doing it right handed and I just can't figure it out. If anyone has any advice, pointers or anything they can refer to me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for listening!
cheekymunky is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-06-2009, 05:06 AM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I went looking for information about left hand knitting, but didn't find anything that was very clear to me. It is 1:00 a.m. and I can't keep looking. I know you said you have tried right handed, but did you try the Continental method? Some folks say it is easier for lefties. One of my daughters is a leftie and she knits this way. I found a discussion about teaching a left handed person to knit at this link. I thought the bottom comment about adapting Continental for a left handed person to be interesting, and might help. This article in Knitty was also about left handed knitters. There was a link there that was supposed to have more but it didn't work.

I'm not much help, and I'm sorry about that. I wish someone could show you in person, that would probably be best.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Daylilydayzed
Turning the Heel

I fyou know a person that is a right hand knitter, ask her to sit in front of you with you facing her. As she casts on you will see the reverse side which is the way left hand people will do it, knits, purls and so on.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
Mike
Working the Gusset

Whether you're left or right handed doesn't matter. Knitting is knitting and uses both hands pretty much equally (very much equally for Continental).

Forcing yourself to knit backwards because you're left handed is not necessary and will only cause other problems trying to create your new style and ultimately patterns to your new style. (As you are finding out with "having to do the opposite of what you are told".)

Feeling awkward isn't because you're left handed, it's because you haven't knit before.
If English is what you're trying and it doesn't work right try Continental.
I'm right handed and at first it felt better for me to knit backwards. It wasn't because I'm secretly left handed.

You may want to focus on the mechanics of the left hand more, use it to steer the loop onto the right needle instead of the point into the loop but the knitting is the same.

But save that backwards knitting idea because when you do entrelac it comes in handy not having to turn every few stitches.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I agree, try knitting with the yarn in your left hand and using the left needle more in making the sts; that may be easier for you and there's plenty of videos that show Continental knitting. We were ALL awkward at first, it's because we're doing something we've never done before.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
sandy57th
Knitting the Flap

I have to disagree!-- When you knit Thrown, you are bringing the yarn around the right needle tip with you right hand, and if Continental, then you are manipulating the right hand needle around the yarn. Either way, it's a right-hand oriented action.

Have you seen this article? http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/FEATmirror.html Or this one? http://www.helium.com/items/1447322-...leftie-to-knit Or this video? http://www.mindbites.com/lesson/172-...st-on-and-knit Or these? http://www.theknittingsite.com/how-t...eft-handed.htm
sandy57th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
Of all the knitters I know who are left handed only one of them actually knits left handed or in reverse. I'm right handed, but I felt like I was working with two left hands when I started knitting so it's awkward for everyone. I think actually knitting left handed makes some patterns hard to figure out or have to be reworked because I've seen some resources for left handed patterns so that would be a pain. If you truly want to knit left handed though there are a few sites that might help.
http://knittingleft.com/index.php?ma...=index&cPath=2
http://learn-to-knit.com/left1.htm
http://www.mindbites.com/lesson/172-...st-on-and-knit

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
Mike
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by sandy57th View Post
I have to disagree!-- When you knit Thrown, you are bringing the yarn around the right needle tip with you right hand, and if Continental, then you are manipulating the right hand needle around the yarn. Either way, it's a right-hand oriented action.

Have you seen this article?
You focus only on what the right hand does. The left hand grabs the right needle while still holding the left needle when the right hand wraps the thread, then when the right hand picks the right needle back up the left hand has to hold the next stitch on the needle. My left hand is not that dexterous which is why I don't knit English. I just tried it, grabbing and letting go of the right needle with my left while still holding onto the left needle is too quick for my left to handle. I drop stitches and my right needle falls out dropping multiple stitches.
Since my left hand can't handle English knitting does that mean English knitting is already left handed knitting, or does it mean it's awkward for me because it's not how I knit?

I don't manipulate the right hand needle around the yarn when knitting Continental. I flick the yarn around with my left. I don't recall ever seeing anyone who manipulates the needle like it was a crochet hook (I wrap with my left when crocheting too).
My right inserts the needle, the left wraps it, the right pulls it through, they both pull apart.
I just pinched my right needle against my leg and knitted all with motion from my left hand, move the loops onto the right needle steering with my left, flicked the yarn around with my left and pulled the loops off with my left. All my right hand did was hold the needle down and hold the stitches on the needle.

Two out of three of those articles you posted says the same, that knitting is neither left or right handed (I didn't watch the video). Sure if you truly can't get it forwards it may be worth it to knit backwards, just like it's worth it to try any number of the multitudes of styles until you find one that works.
But if it's just because it's awkward it's going to be even more awkward to rethink instructions forever.

When knitting backward for entrelac your backward knits are actually the purls in the pattern. So do you reverse all the Ks to Ps in patterns and think of all backwards slopes as forward slopes or do you flip WS for RS and reverse all shaping to the other side? Either way it's a little much for a newbie to take on unless they have no other option.

When you're a backwards knitter and you're knitting entrelac you're going to knit forwards to avoid turning the piece just like a forwards knitter knits backwards to avoid turning the piece, so what's the difference as far as handedness goes? It's forwards and backwards, not left and right.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
I don't recall ever seeing anyone who manipulates the needle like it was a crochet hook
A few right handed crocheters do when they switch to knitting. That's how their sts get wrapped backwards and can cause twisted sts.

But I do think Continentail knitters use their left hand more in manipulating the yarn around the needle while english knitters use their right hand more for the same operation.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #10
sandy57th
Knitting the Flap

cheekymunky is having trouble with learning to knit because he or she is left-handed, and so asked for help. That's what we need to address, not our own opinions about whether that makes sense or not.
sandy57th is offline   Reply With Quote