Old 11-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Would this be too weird?
Hiya guys: question for you, and all opinions are welcome.

I'm getting together the Knitterly/Crocheterly Prize for the KAL for Knit A Square that I'm running on my blog. I happen to have a very little used full set (including extra sized tips that aren't in the normal full set) of KP Harmony interchangeable needles. (They aren't in their packaging anymore, but they're in the KP zip bag.) Would it be too weird to give this set as part of the Knitterly Prize? Or should I just buy a new set of tips and a cable?

I blogged about it here.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
Hmmm...I think it would probably be ok to do as long as you were up front about them being gently used...As long as they are in good shape, and the winner fully acknowledges the set is a gently used set and is OK with that, I would think it should be fine.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
gamerchik
Knitting the Flap

I agree about just letting people know that they are "gently used."

Personally, I am weird about used items and only buy things new, but I doubt most people would mind at all.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,762 Times in 7,130 Posts
Personally I don't mind used things like books or needles as long as they are in good shape and aren't presented as new. You could have a choice of either the needles or something else for those like Gamerchik who have a problem with it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Well, the actual reality is that I've used one of the pairs of tips to do a swatch, and I screwed them all onto a cable to make sure there weren't any problems when I got them! So they're very gently used!

Just can't decide...I guess part of the problem is that I discovered after buying this set that I don't actually like knitting on wood, so hearing that a set of Harmony tips was part of a prize really wouldn't excite me personally too much. I'd rather get one Addi circular!

Ponder, ponder, ponder...

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
mwhite
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by globaltraveler View Post
Well, the actual reality is that I've used one of the pairs of tips to do a swatch, and I screwed them all onto a cable to make sure there weren't any problems when I got them! So they're very gently used!

Just can't decide...I guess part of the problem is that I discovered after buying this set that I don't actually like knitting on wood, so hearing that a set of Harmony tips was part of a prize really wouldn't excite me personally too much. I'd rather get one Addi circular!

Ponder, ponder, ponder...
I LOVE Harmonies and am an avid "needle finder" at yard sales and in thrift stores....if I found a whole set like this, even if they were wrapped in old pillowcases.....I'd do several happy dances....a couple of backflips and then KNIT KNIT KNIT!!!!
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mwhite For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (11-07-2009)
Old 11-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

That's good to know, Mary! Maybe this'll work...I was going to sell it to make back some of the money, but you know what? I really want to get people to help these kids, so what the heck...

Old 11-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
Mirl56
Instepping Out

It's a prize, so I don't think the winner has the right to say "I don't like the prize", know what I mean?? If you don't want the prize in whatever drawing/contest/etc you shouldn't be entering.

I think as long as you say that it's gently used, you're covered as to not mis-representing it.

Personally, I've love to win them!

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Hey, feel free to enter a square, Marilyn!

Old 11-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
EmeraldSpider
Ribbing the Cuff

this would be a wonderful prize especially the extras that come with