Old 11-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
LynnNH
Casting On

By george, I think I've got it....
I posted below about having trouble with the drop spindle, but I finished the scarf I was knitting out of roving (kit from a wool show), and then have been using the left over roving to try the spindle again. And by george, I think I have it! It is turning out quite nicely, and soon I'll wind off what I have on the spindle and do another bit so that I can ply them together.

I'm wondering if the other stuff I was using it just too thick - there is a lot more material than in the roving I was knitting with. Can I just split the roving down the long way and then spin? Of should I just do a lot of predrafting?

Thanks so much for the help in this threads. I'm so glad I went back and tried again!

Lynn in NH
LynnNH is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

If your roving or top is very thick then yes you can split the fiber to make it easier to handle. I have found for me that I like pulling off short chunks of top and spin from those with no predrafting. I didn't like having long pieces of top wrapped around my wrist as it was always getting in my way.
The way I do it means more joins, but after you get comfortable doing a join it's not a big deal. The more you practice the more you'll find what's comfortable for you. There's a lot to learn, but boy I find it addicting.