Old 11-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Chrysee
Ribbing the Cuff

to make a shawl?
Some backstory first: My little sister-in-law (well, she is 22 and I am 24) is living in Honduras for a year to teach. She's living in the mountains, but it is near the equator and they do not have seasons really. But she hates any type of cold and is set on living somewhere that does not have a winter season (we live in Ohio). My husband's parents are visiting Honduras over Christmas this year to see her. I will be knitting her a market bag probably but was wondering if I should maybe make her a shawl? Like a big rectangular one I see people make sometimes that can be worn a bunch of different ways or as a scarf. I've never knitted lace before so I don't really know how long it takes or if this is a realistic project to complete by mid-December. If I don't finish by then, I can always mail it to her (it just takes a while to get packages to Honduras, but she has received what her parents have sent her so far) I just thought it would be nice to have some things to send with my in-laws when they go to visit her. I don't really know of what else she might need or want, but she doesn't have a lot with her since she was only able to take 2 50lb-max suitcases with her on her flight when she left for the year.

So.. what are some good rectangular shawl patterns? What sort of fiber would be best??

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
diny0
Casting On

I think a Clapotis http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTclapotis.html is just what you are looking for . It is a very easy rectangular shawl with a dropped stitch that makes it easy to bunch into a scarf and gives it a lacy look. I made one using Berocco Metallic Sox yarn. The metallic thread gives it a nice glitz so it can be worn to a wedding but not so fancy that you can't wear it for everyday. The fingering weight keeps it light and less bulky
diny0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Northknitter
1st Leg of the Journey

What about the Stolen Moments Wrap by Amy M. Swenson?
I really enjoyed knitting this wrap. A fun knit.
Northknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Sunday Market Shaw is easy, too. Kind of similar to the Clapotis in that it has a dropped stitch every 3-4 stitches, but it's not on the diagonal like Clapotis is.
http://knit-fish.blogspot.com/2008/1...ket-shawl.html

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
Woodi
Turning the Heel

I so enjoyed the story about knitting a clapotis, and how French women can look so good without even trying...! Very sweet. Thanks for this.
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

[If you can get on Ravelry, Wisp is nice and very, very simple. I haven't finished mine because I forget where I put the bag it was in, but the half or so that's done is compact and almost weightless in Patons Lacette. It's meant to fold up very small so it can be carried in a purse and shaken out to wear easily.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
miccisue
Turning the Heel

I'm making a triangular one using the same basic pattern as a lot of dishcloths....where you knit two stitches, yarn over, and then knit across the rest of the row. I've seen baby blankets done that way, too. Anyway, I figured I just stop when I get it as wide and long as I want, and if I want to add fringe, there are the spaces from the yo's to do it.
I'm all for simple.
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
Just thought I'd add that if you aren't on Ravelry, you can also look up a bunch of patterns on Knitting Pattern Central.

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
Mirl56
Instepping Out

http://simpleknits.blogspot.com/2007...-patterns.html
Here's a boat-load, too.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Forest Canopy
This pattern is not free but it is well worth the price:
http://www.theyarngrove.com/focashshpa.html

It was my first shawl pattern and it's an excellent starter pattern for lace, well written and easy to follow.

It works with any yarn and deending on the number of repeats you can make it small or large.