Old 11-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
Very Frustrating!
Ok, first off let me say I love my husband dearly, but, he can be such a pain in the butt!

Ugh...Ok, he is the pickiest eater I have EVER known! I'm trying to think of something I can cook for Thanksgiving that he will eat...My family all gets together at my mom and dad's house and my sister, sister in law, and I each bring a dish...I used to bring green bean casserole, but, he won't eat it, then, last year, I made a really good potato casserole (the kind with the corn flakes) that he also refused to eat...He won't eat anything that contains potatoes (on very rare occasions he'll eat a couple french fries or tater tots, but that's it), he doesn't like stuffing or gravy, he doesn't like anything with the word "casserole" in it, and there are other things he refuses to eat just because he thinks it "looks gross"...GAH!

It's also important to note we are vegetarians...

We have a huge variety of food at Thanksgiving but he's so picky he eats hardly any of it! We have corn, mashed potatoes and gravy (plus a delicious vegetarian gravy my dad makes), stuffing (my dad makes a wonderful vegetarian stuffing as well), cauliflower with cheese, a vegetable tray, salad, rolls, cranberry sauce, my mom makes a ham for the meat eaters...I'm sure there's more but I can't think of the rest...lol...Anyway, all hubby will eat is the salad, rolls, corn, and cauliflower with cheese. I want to bring something he will eat and every time I ask him what he'd like me to make, his response is, "I don't know."

I have been looking at all sorts of vegetarian recipe sites for ideas but most of what I have found is potato based or casseroles!

My mom and I were joking that if I found a casserole that I think hubby might like I'd tell him it was called a "combination" instead of casserole.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any vegetarian (or simply non-meat) Thanksgiving type recipes they wouldn't mind sharing that don't contain potatoes and aren't casseroles...lol...It doesn't have to be an entree, just like a side dish or appetizer...I'm driving myself crazy trying to find something and I'm about ready to give up and tell hubby too damn bad...lol

Thanks!!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,807 Times in 7,166 Posts
We always have candied sweet potatoes. Will he eat those?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
saracidaltendencies (11-09-2009)
Old 11-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Unfortunately, no, being potatoes...I swear, he's impossible! Thank you, though!

- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 11-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Is he complaining that there isn't enough for him to eat? If not, make what you want and let him enjoy what he eats. If he is, tell him to grow up. Even my kids know they have to at least try something before telling me they don't like it and won't eat it.

Really, at some point you are going to let him own his own food issues. Most of the "food challenged" people I know have learned that they have to deal with the fact that not everyone eats the way they do or is willing to cater to them all the time.

Hope that is not too blunt!

Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zkimom For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

No, he doesn't complain about there not being enough, he just hardly eats anything then later, once we're home, complains about being hungry...lol...Thing is, with him, he is hands down the most stubborn person I have ever met...I mean I am stubborn as can be but no where near as bad as he is! He just flat out refuses to try anything he doesn't like ('cause he didn't like it when he was a kid...I think possibly the foods that were cooked for him when he was a child were less than stellar and that has led him to refuse to try anyone else's version), or anything he thinks looks gross...My kids aren't even as picky as their father!

As far as making something else he will eat for Thanksgiving, it would of course be for everyone, not just him, but I wanted to make something he would eat, to try to be nice...lol...My kindness is, however, wearing thin...

- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 11-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
GinnyG
Instepping Out

This is my FAVORITE Vegatarian THANKSGIVING Recipie. I was a vegatarian for many years (I eat chicken now) and made this every year to replace the turkey.

Carrot and Cashew Nut Roast
1 medium size onion
1-2 cloves garlic crushed
1tsp olive oil
2 cups carrots cooked an mashed
2 cups cashews ground
1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 tbsp light tahini (sesame paste)
1 1/2 tsps caraway seeds
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/3 cup stock from carrots salt and pepper

saute onions and garlic til sofe
Mix together with other ingredietns
place mixture in greased load pan
cover with foil and bake for 350 degrees for 1 hour
remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes

let stand in pan for about 15 minutes before turning out

slice like meat loaf

good hot OR cold!!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
cftwo
Working the Gusset

Your hubby and I would have similar items on our plates. Should I share the time I had green beans and pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving dinner? As a long-time vegetarian who generally dislikes Thanksgiving foods, here's my suggestion.

The best Thanksgiving dish I had that I enjoyed for the FOOD as opposed to the company was the rice stuffing in the Tofurkey turkey dinner package. The Tofurkey itself I could take or leave, but the stuffing was really good. And I detest the traditional bread stuffing. (Apparently, the tofurkey stuffing they make now has both bread and rice. I'm very disappointed.)

Unfortunately, I haven't had a whole lot of luck finding a recipe for it. Here's a possibility, though (sub vegetable broth, of course, and I'd probably leave out the mushrooms since I only eat those if I can't tell they're in the dish - broccoli makes a good colorful substitute):
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Wild-Ri...ng/Detail.aspx

Stuffed squash is another quasi-traditional vegetarian option: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Wild-Ri...sh/Detail.aspx

I'm sometimes tempted to go completely un-traditional and make a risotto (yummy) or lasagna or enchiladas or something like that. I am never sure whether traditional foods or the idea of FEASTING should win out. Personally, I think a feasting holiday where I fast really stinks.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cftwo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Here is one more (I had to go find it). I use a lot of ground nuts for Holiday meals (too lazy the rest of the year).

Mixed Nut Balls

2/3 C ground almonds
2/3 C ground hazelnuts
2/3 C ground pecans
3/4 C sholewheat breadcrumbs
1 cup cheddar cheese grated
1 egg beaten
4 tbsps sherry
1 small onion chopped finely
1 tbsp grate fresh ginger
1 tbsp fresh parsley
1 small red or green chili pepper chopped finely
1 medium red pepper diced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper

In another bowl mix beaten egg with sherry onion ginger and parsley chili and red pepper
Combine with nut mixture and add salt and pepper

If mixture is too dry add a little more sherry (you can use milk instead)

from into 1 inch balls, arrange on a well greased baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes at 180-200degrees until golden brown.

I make aplate of these and several bowls of dipping sauce; honey mustard; ranch; marinara sauce etc.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

HMMM - I am at work and my recipes are at home...I am not a white tater fan or casserole fan either (not a fan of "one pot dinners" and still have nightmares about my mothers tuna noodle dinner.
As for the picky hubby, what about some sort of lentil salad, rice/lentil pilaf, couscous salad or beans and pasta salad.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vaknitter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thank you, GinnyG and cftwo, those recipes sound delicious!! Vaknitter, I knew I was forgetting another of hubby's food no-no's...BEANS!! LOL!! Yep, he won't eat anything with any kind of beans either!

- Mahatma Gandhi