Old 11-13-2009, 03:02 AM   #1
Dari
Ribbing the Cuff

Thoughts on "Knitlite" needles?
I'm a theatre technician (which means I run around in black backstage of shows making sure the actors don't break anything/run into anything/die a horrible death via things falling on them), and most of the downtime I have in the theatre is in darkness. So yesterday while on one of my many forays into my local Michael's, I found a pair of needles that allows me to knit in the dark. They have little LED lights in the tips that you can turn on and off, and they make it surprisingly easy to knit in total darkness.

Has anyone else used them? What do you think of them? How well do they hold up under repeated use? They're made out of somewhat flimsy plastic, so I'm afraid to use them too much for fear that I'll break them. But they do make my downtime backstage useful!

"As an artist, the only thing I have to offer is the revelation of my soul."
-Eleonora Duse

I knit because sometimes it's the only way to keep from strangling stupid people.
Dari is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
melmac51
Turning the Heel

I bought some just for fun...and a couple of crochet lite hooks for a friend of mine for her birthday. We sat in our little lunchroom in the dark, knitting and crocheting away, and giggling like two little girls. I haven't tried anything big on them though.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
ajsgramma
Ribbing the Cuff

I've knit a couple of scarves with mine & they were fun. You can just light one needle & always remember which row you're on. (kind of like knitting with two different color needles)
The lights are really bright. If the power goes out you have a flashlight in your knitting bag! My grandson thinks they're cool.
(((HUGS))) Verna
ajsgramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ajsgramma For This Useful Post:
Phaedra (11-13-2009)
Old 11-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I have been tempted to get some. I wish they came in circular needles. I knit every morning on the way to work (DH drives) and currently have a headlamp wound around the visor, pointing in my lap. Lighted needles would be great. But I don't like straights and most of what I knit is in the round.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Seems like they would also be GREAT for knitting on a red-eye flight! I didn't realize (by reading about them in ads) how useful they could be! Thanks for sharing your take on them! Good to know!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
Mirl56
Instepping Out

I bought a pair a few yrs ago when I saw them discounted down to a few dollars. But I've never used them. I only use circulars any more and honestly I'm not sure why I had to have them (but I did!)

I wouldn't want to use them as a passenger in a car - I wouldn't want the little lights floating around to be a distraction to the driver. Unless all the people around me were dead asleep, I'd be hesitant to use them on a plane/train/bus for that same distraction factor.

I also have a couple of the lighted crochet hooks. While I've used them quite a few times, never really utilized the light. Just used them as hooks w/out lights.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
meowmeowmeow
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by melmac51 View Post
I bought some just for fun...and a couple of crochet lite hooks for a friend of mine for her birthday. We sat in our little lunchroom in the dark, knitting and crocheting away, and giggling like two little girls. I haven't tried anything big on them though.

That seriously sounds like something I would do. I spend a loooot of my time giggling, easily amused at some gimmick or cheesy pun. I guess I have an excuse, I was a school girl two years ago >_>
meowmeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
I bought some a few years back so I could knit something while watching movies in our makeshift theatre.

I found them too bright for the projector, not bright enough for the project, and I with little effort, I ended up snapping off one of the tips. It really wasn't worth it.

From someone who has worked in theatre, I wouldn't do it. Depending on how close you are to the stage, it might give off too much light...

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote