This is to be a gift for an ex co-worker's first grandchild due in March. Once I knew of the upcoming arrival, I searched and collected many patterns until I found Debbie Bliss' Alphabet Blanket (found in The Baby Knits book).
Decided to do this lace in acrylic so it could be useful (just throw in the washer/dryer) instead of just being "pretty".
Well you know how a lace item looks before blocking? Like, well ...crappy? I thought what if this still looks crappy, even after I wash and dry it? I did some researching on the web; and the above picture is before the wash and dry, but after I "killed" the acrylic. Yes, I steam-pressed it. Boy--talk about nervous!!!
And later today I'll see if it holds its blocked shaped after being machine washed/dried.
Back to the pattern, there is an errata
on DB's website (make sure to get it for corrections to the charts) and I left off the border points.
And only picked up 187 stitches along the sides for the border as so many knitters have complained that the number given in the pattern, resulted in non-wanted frills that required heavy blocking to correct.
That said, overall a good knit and I'll do it again---especially if the 'killed" acrylic works out.
Yarn: TLC Baby sport-weight: Powder Green; used 2.1 skeins
Needles: KnitPicks US 3 (3.25mm) 24" circular (nickel)
Finished/blocked size: 36" square
Update: the killing worked!! Machine washed and dried; and it kept its' shape, becoming very soft and silky!!! Oh yeah!