Old 11-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
nooniewaters
1st Leg of the Journey

To Frog or not to Frog?
I started knitting this jacket and this morning I realized my front panel is facing/overlapping the right side instead of the left. Should I frog it and pick up the stitches for both panels and collar again because I have to knit 2 of each since my friend is having twins wouldn't it be awkward to have one panel facing left and the other facing right? or should I just leave it alone since I've worked sooo hard and hope the other sweater panel turns out to be on the left.?

This is what the sweater is suppose to look like.
nooniewaters is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-25-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I would frog the ribbing panels and re-knit so that the buttonholes are correct for a boy. Be glad this is a teensy size! Shouldn't take long now that you've experienced it once! I made this very same double-breasted coat for my little grandson, Keoni! It is the nicest little jacket! Your knitting looks wonderful!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
The "rule" is that buttonholes go on the right for a girl and left for a boy. What is your friend having? Maybe you have it correct for one of the babies. But it is not something (the "rule") that a lot of people even know about, so don't sweat it too much. Of if you want to make one for a girl and one for a boy, just make sure you make the other one turn out as you mean for it to. That will work as long as you don't have a pink one for the boy and a blue one for the girl.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
nooniewaters
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
I would frog the ribbing panels and re-knit so that the buttonholes are correct for a boy. Be glad this is a teensy size! Shouldn't take long now that you've experienced it once! I made this very same double-breasted coat for my little grandson, Keoni! It is the nicest little jacket! Your knitting looks wonderful!
the picture above is not my knitting....hehe..I found the picture on Ravelry.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
nooniewaters
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by MerigoldinWA View Post
The "rule" is that buttonholes go on the right for a girl and left for a boy. What is your friend having? Maybe you have it correct for one of the babies. But it is not something (the "rule") that a lot of people even know about, so don't sweat it too much. Of if you want to make one for a girl and one for a boy, just make sure you make the other one turn out as you mean for it to. That will work as long as you don't have a pink one for the boy and a blue one for the girl.
No one knows if she's having 2 boy/girls or 1 of the other..but I suppose I will frog it.aarrgghh!!!lol
Old 11-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

I wouldn't. It's an arbitrary "rule", especially for babies. I have quite a few pieces of clothing where the overlap is on different sides.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by nooniewaters View Post
No one knows if she's having 2 boy/girls or 1 of the other..but I suppose I will frog it.aarrgghh!!!lol
Oh, gotcha!

I've knit for a lot of grandbabies, and numerous other babies at our congregation and unless I really know what the sex of the baby is...I stick to pullovers. I guess I'm OCD about the buttonhole placements for girls vs boys.

How about a cute pullover??? There are lots of them!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
In your situation I think I'd leave it. Who knows maybe you are changing it to incorrect when it is correct now. If you don't know the babies' sex I don't how how you can be expected to get the buttons on the "right" sides.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
I think that it's also the reverse of what we have in Europe, any time my parents have brought me back clothes from their holidays in the US, I always feel that the zip/buttons are on the wrong side. I don't think it matters too much to a baby what side they dress on!
Old 11-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
linknit41
1st Leg of the Journey

frog or not
Originally Posted by nooniewaters View Post
well, just my opinion, but i wouldn't frog it, and even if the other one comes out overlapping the other side, it would helpto tell the twins apart if they are identical!!, also, each twin would have a unique sweater-- linknit41
linknit41 is offline   Reply With Quote