Old 11-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
strawberry
Ribbing the Cuff

adult hat size
I'm in the process of knitting a hat from Noro Designer Mini Knits - Design 2 and I just cast on 113 sts and have knitted 6 rows of k1p1 and I can see that it will be too big. I know the gauge is correct am using size 6 for rib then 7 for the crown. How do you figure out how many sts should I cast on since the book uses 113sts?
I also have the same problem with kids mittens - they are too small and followed their instructions. Could it be the wrong type of yarn?
Thank you
I knitted a babies hat from Cottage Industry, the pattern is sweetpea baby set, but I need to knit something called 'monk's cord' which attaches/sewn to the corners of the hat. My question is What is Monk's Cord/how is this knitted?
strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Your pattern may say that you should use size 6 and 7 needles, but that doesn't mean the gauge will be correct for how you knit, and you're right that if you use a larger or smaller yarn than in the pattern you'll get a different size. There should be a gauge on your pattern, so you should knit a sample to see if you match the sts/inch. If there's too few/inch then use a smaller needle, if there's too many, use a larger needle. And the yarn does have to be the same type to come out the right size.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote