Old 12-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
merchgirl1
Casting On

straight needle patterns done on circular needles
I was wondering if I have to do anything different with the pattern if it calls for straight needles but I would like to use circular needles say like if I am making a hat.
Thank you!
Heather
merchgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Depends on exactly what you're trying to do.

Is it something like a hat that the pattern is written knitting it flat and seaming it and you want to knit it flat on circlular needles? Easy - cast on your stitches and turn at the end of each row, just like you'd do it on straight needles.

Or is it something like a hat that the pattern is written knitting it flat and seaming it and you want to join it and knit it in the round? Depending on what the item is, you might need to drop 1 or 2 stitches off the cast on that would have been used for seaming. Just cast on your stitches and join in the round.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,781 Times in 7,145 Posts
In addition to Marilyn said - Some stitch patterns will have to be changed as well if you're knitting in the round.

If it's knitting in the round you're doing there are a ton of patterns already out there and it might be easier to find a new one than to alter one made for knitting flat.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote