Old 12-31-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
bebedechocolate
Ribbing the Cuff

want to buy a spindle... help
I am looking to buy a spindle to learn to spin. There are lots of nice looking kits on Etsy ranging from about $13 to $50 so I am not sure what to get. Should I get a top whorl or a bottom whorl or a kit that has both? Also, what type of fiber should I learn on? Some how alpaca others have wool.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

Here's a good inexpensive place to start. I've seen her starter kits recommended in other spinning forums. I personally own her book Productive Spindling. http://www.thebellwether.biz/index.p...dex&cPath=2_23
The Schacht Hi-Lo spindle is what I started with, it can be used as a top whorl or bottom whorl so you can try either way and see what works best for you. http://www.paradisefibers.net/Schach...dle-p/4006.htm
A really good dvd to get you started is Respect the Spindle by Abby Franquemont. I just got my copy and there is a ton of info in there on how to spin on a spindle.
I've seen people say they've started on any variety of fibers, but what's most commonly recommended is something like Corriedale or BFL. They are readily available and fairly inexpensive.
Happy Spinning!