Old 12-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
cheley
Working the Gusset

OT: I feel like a "knitting failure"...
Does anyone else feel like they just didn't knit enough for Xmas Gifts...I do...I completed one shawl (took forever) and everyone loved it/asked why I didn't make them one Come on now, I had a whole year to think about knitting gifts....

cheley is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Nope, I didn't knit any - on purpose. Some people might be overly ambitious and choose more projects than they can reasonably finish by a deadline. Maybe they don't take into consideration the extra time taken by other shopping, cooking, and activities.

But if other people expected something knit, they shoulda put in their list to the knitting Santa (that's you) several months beforehand.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
cheley (12-29-2009)
Old 12-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,803 Times in 7,162 Posts
No way. If you feel you have to knit something it becomes work and not a special gift anymore. Maybe next year, or next birthday the next person can get something special from you.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
cheley (12-29-2009), lelvsdgs (12-31-2009)
Old 12-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
meowmeowmeow
Knitting the Flap

I definitely didn't knit enough this year, though I did complete the projects I wanted to do, some a day late.Those were acceptable though because they needed to be shipped anyways.Next year I will certainly start my Christmas knitting earlier and include more people so they don't feel left out, but it's not the end of the world.

Remember that Christmas is just another day on the calendar.Just because various stores have made it a big shopping occasion and it's become a tradition in so many cultures, it doesn't mean it's your only chance.I think the best gifts are uncalled for, and I try to give as many of those out as possible. An expected gift on a holiday or birthday can be nice but it feels even better getting a gift out of nowhere for no reason other than "I thought of you".
All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment..."

-Nietzsche
meowmeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to meowmeowmeow For This Useful Post:
cheley (12-29-2009)
Old 12-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
LizzieK8
1st Leg of the Journey

Start making a gift list now. As you find patterns when wandering through Ravelry put them on the list for the appropriate person. When you want to start a new project, check your gift list first and see if any of those inspire you to be CO.

One can't start their Christmas knitting in Oct or Nov and expect to get it all done..... I've been doing hand made gifts for years, and it takes all year to get them done and not feel rushed or overwhelmed by it. I also give myself permission to give hand mades for birthdays instead and not worry so much for Christmas.
cheley (12-29-2009)
Old 12-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #6
offgridgirl
Knitting the Flap

Nope only knit for special occasions(births,Bar-mitvah.Aliyah) or if someone buys the wool/yarn for me. I have knitted so many beautiful things for B-days and holidays and then I never see them worn or the person tells me they gave it away :(
The Following User Says Thank You to offgridgirl For This Useful Post:
cheley (12-29-2009)
Old 12-27-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
meowmeowmeow
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by offgridgirl View Post
Nope only knit for special occasions(births,Bar-mitvah.Aliyah) or if someone buys the wool/yarn for me. I have knitted so many beautiful things for B-days and holidays and then I never see them worn or the person tells me they gave it away :(

:( That's messed up! I literally take weeks going over my choices for people because I have to make sure they don't end up like that.

As much as I adore thrift stores,it's really sad finding the "given away home made scarf" section.There's also a section for afghans and sweaters :/
All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment..."

-Nietzsche
meowmeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
offgridgirl
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by meowmeowmeow View Post
:( That's messed up! I literally take weeks going over my choices for people because I have to make sure they don't end up like that.

As much as I adore thrift stores,it's really sad finding the "given away home made scarf" section.There's also a section for afghans and sweaters :/
ya too right..... I'm always sorry to find those as well
The Following User Says Thank You to offgridgirl For This Useful Post:
cheley (12-29-2009)
Old 12-29-2009, 02:07 AM   #9
OldSkool
Ribbing the Cuff

Duuuuude.... don't worry about it! You're putting way too much pressure on yourself; knitting's supposed to be fun and relaxing, right? I'm telling people, "You'll get it when you get it" and make them deal with it. If they've got their panties in a bunch because they didn't get something from you this year, then they're selfish and inconsiderate (especially if they "gave it away)! How rude! And exactly who are you knitting for if they're going to do that to one of your artful pieces? Perhaps throttle back on knitting for other people and knit more for yourself or immediate family/close friends; people who will love and appreciate what you slaved over and who wouldn't think of donating to a thrift store.
Good luck and always look on the bright side of life.
OldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldSkool For This Useful Post:
cheley (12-29-2009)
Old 12-29-2009, 03:26 AM   #10
UruzPhoenix
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by cheley View Post
Does anyone else feel like they just didn't knit enough for Xmas Gifts...I do...I completed one shawl (took forever) and everyone loved it/asked why I didn't make them one Come on now, I had a whole year to think about knitting gifts....

you need to join the selfish knitters group

I also stop taking "requests" for knitted gifts in october for not the following december, but a YEAR from that. and the "hey honey" gets a "two words you don't want to say... knitted and GIFT" (my dh got that one recently!)

knit what you want when you want and for whom you want.... you're not a personal knitwear dispenser and if they think that it's SOOOO much "cheaper" (yeah, i giggled at that one too!) for you to make something rather than buy it in the store, send em to etsy

OTN
more socks.... pics of past projects up at my blog.

my knitting blog
HeathenWytch on Ravelry
UruzPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UruzPhoenix For This Useful Post:
cheley (12-29-2009)