Old 12-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
mindfulmama
Casting On

good needles for beginner
My dh was so sweet and got me a few knitting supplies since I'm always saying I want to learn to knit. He got me a great book, Fearless Knitting, and I've been watching videos on here some but haven't actually "tried" anything yet. I notice most books/videos show straight needles, but the local yarn shop sold him a circular needle for me to learn on.

Is this what I need? What needles should I purchase to get started doing some practice knitting?

Thanks!!
mindfulmama is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,798 Times in 7,158 Posts
They do often use straight needles for beginners, but there's no reason you can't learn on circulars. I use circular needles for nearly everything now.

You'll be knitting flat (not a tube of knitting) to learn so you will have to learn how to turn your work so you don't join into a tube. It's not hard though. Just remember that knitting is awkward for everyone at first so just start and keep going. Your tension and technique will improve with practice.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
KnitandPurl
1st Leg of the Journey

I learned on a pair of wooden size 8 straight needles using some leftover sportweight yarn from a crochet project.

It was enough to get me started. For my first real knit project, I switched to circular needles.
KnitandPurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
Sarah6485
Casting On

Circulars are fine since you'll get more use of them. I rarely use my straight needles anymore and most projects (aside from like a dishcloth or narrow scarf) will have you on circulars (or DPNs, but that's a totally different monster.) Good luck!
Sarah6485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think circular needles are easier for beginners. You don't have the other end sticking out, bumping things and getting in the way. If the cord is curly and won't straighten out, then dip in very hot water for a couple minutes and let it cool while you hold it out straight.

Most people don't even bother with straight needles after they try circs, they're just really awkward.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

I started out on straight needles, which are great to learn on before jumping on the circular bandwagon.

For a beginner I am going to recommend you stick with the straight needles until you learn your stitches and sides better. Once you are knitting the knits and purling the purls and know which is the right side of your project at a glance, then I highly recommend switching over to circs because they are easy to carry around and are just so comfy in your hands.

Let us know how you're coming along. The wealth of knowledge here is amazing.
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,798 Times in 7,158 Posts
I don't think you need to switch to straights unless you are really having too much trouble with the circs. Since you already have them I'd give them a try.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I agree, there's no reason to use straight ones. I tried knitting on some a while back and found it really really hard. I think a lot of the awkwardness of learning to knit is because of using long needles. You can knit flat on them and will learn how to make knit and purl stitches and which is the right side of your work just the same as with straights.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
lissaplus2
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to lissaplus2
I agree with Sue and Jan...Use the circular...

My first knitting project was knit on DPN's, a pair of socks.

Welcome to the club!!!

lissaplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #10
meowmeowmeow
Knitting the Flap

I started with the straight Boye needles from Walmart.Most pairs of straights were under 4 bucks They are quite indestructible. I've since gotten their circular needle set and another set of bamboo DPNs (from another place) so now I just use those in my hair.
All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment..."

-Nietzsche
meowmeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote