Old 01-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #21
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Red Heart Points Out the Ends!
Originally Posted by Lighting57 View Post
It would be a big help it the label had a mark of some sort to alert us which end of the skein to search for the yarn tail.

But, I too have a lot of trouble finding the end at times and usually end with 30-50% of the inside content coming out with the tail end.
Originally Posted by linknit41 View Post
once upon a time, i had a skein of Red Heart yarn, and there was a little red foil heart stuck to the end of the yarn from the center. what a great idea!!!!!!!probably why no one does it anymore!?!! i like to do what someone else mentioned--wind my own or put the skein in a container--the plastic jars nuts come in are a good size. linknit41

Last Red Heart label I looked at still had arrows pointing out which end of the skein was witch. And you could find the center end near the end of the skein if it was still (or tucked) inside.

They believe it reads something like ...
Quote:
<= (left) was the outside end, first pull and wrap around skein, then => (right side) had inside end.
I've been a bit of a snob toward Red Heart lately; I've just passed by with out a look or touch.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OffJumpsJack For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (01-08-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #22
meowmeowmeow
Knitting the Flap

While we're on the topic of declines in quality, my last three skeins of Caron had weird tangled areas. One even had a knot in it that looked like two ends tied together so there was fluff sticking out of the knot. I'm so disappointed cause I really loved that yarn.I've had so much of it too :/ I suppose I should write them to tell them about it?
All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment..."

-Nietzsche
meowmeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to meowmeowmeow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #23
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
If it was just one knot, that's rather normal these days. Some of them have 3 or 4. I was on the second sleeve of a top down sweater for my GD and found a knot in the Simply Soft. I don't recall there being any in the other skeins I've used, but that was a few years ago. Contact them and see what they say.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2010, 12:28 AM   #24
meowmeowmeow
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
If it was just one knot, that's rather normal these days. Some of them have 3 or 4. I was on the second sleeve of a top down sweater for my GD and found a knot in the Simply Soft. I don't recall there being any in the other skeins I've used, but that was a few years ago. Contact them and see what they say.
It wasn't just one knot per skein.A couple had up to 4 areas of about 3 inches of yarn that looked completely mangled.It looked like it had been jammed in a machine or something. *sigh* I was on such a roll today too writing positive letters to online shops I recently bought from.
All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment..."

-Nietzsche
meowmeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to meowmeowmeow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2010, 01:12 AM   #25
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
It's a manufacturing problem that can't be seen till you actually use the yarn so it's not the stores fault.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #26
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Oh well in that case, it's a manufacturing problem, do contact Caron, the stores don't have anything to do with this issue, they just sell what the company sends them in an order. Companies like to know about quality control issues because they want a good product out there.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #27
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Originally Posted by meowmeowmeow View Post
I was on such a roll today too writing positive letters to online shops I recently bought from.
Hi!

Just wanted to congratulate you on acknowledging the shops you bought from in a positive way. That's every bit as important as letting them know if you have a complaint - maybe even more important!

About Caron Simply Soft - I LOVE that yarn, especially for afghans. In fact, I'm about to embark on my 6th or 7th afghan using it. My project has been to do afghans for each close family member. Only two left to go! Yay! And yes, I've found those little knots and some areas of mangled yarn, sadly enough, but I dealt with it because I like the yarn so much.

Caron, though, will hear from me about it. As well as how much I love the yarn. Thanks for the reminder.

Ruthie
Old 01-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #28
mommydearest
1st Leg of the Journey

Some yarns are much, much worse at finding the center pull than others but unless my yarn comes in a hank I won't re-wind it. I'll pull out the yarn barf and rewind the extra back around the skein. The last time this happened I was starting a pair of socks for my son and the yarn barf took me through 1/2 of one ankle length sock (1/2 way through the foot).

The knots coming up is really annoying and has been happening more often to many different yarns. Can't say one brand is any worse than another. I just pray when I get to the knot I can keep it on the wrong side.

Mary

FO's: Lots of dishcloths, beanies, bandanas, Easy Lace Scarf, Christmas Stockings - mini and regular sizes, Central Park Hoody, Scarf & Hat set, an American Flag Table Runner, Chenille Pillow cover

frogged: Log Cabin Stashghan - I'll try again but in different colors.

I'm jamn2knit @
http://www.ravelry.com/people/jamn2knit
mommydearest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mommydearest For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (01-10-2010)
Old 01-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #29
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

Ruthie, I don't know how much this will help because I, too, get so frustrated with half of the skein pulling out when trying to find the start of the center pull yarn. What I do is, I stick my thumb and first finger into the center of the skein as close to the middle as I can and pull out the least amount of the inside as possible. Most of the time, the end of the yarn is in this small amount. Most of the time, but not always. I used to just go in and grab the blob and pull it out, then wind it around the outside, but it seems if you go in and feel around a little, it's possible to find the end with only a few of the innards coming out also.
I agree that companies nowadays don't seem to care about the quality of their product as much as the quantity. And customer service is a thing of the past in most companies. My pet peeve is talking to a computer. UGGHH!! Sometimes I'll just talk jibberish until I get a human on the line. Computers don't understand jibberish Doesn't work all the time, but it makes me feel better.
Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society. Benjamin Franklin

Sknitter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sknitter56 For This Useful Post:
linknit41 (01-10-2010), RuthieinMaryland (01-10-2010)
Old 01-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #30
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Knots ahoy!
Originally Posted by mommydearest View Post

...The knots coming up is really annoying and has been happening more often to many different yarns. Can't say one brand is any worse than another. I just pray when I get to the knot I can keep it on the wrong side.

Mary
Hi, Mary!

About the knots - I used to just knit them in figuring they were so tiny they'd just sort of magically meld into the project! This was so annoying when it happened on socks since a knot anywhere had the potential for creating a pressure spot that would rub.

Then I read about how it's not good to just knit those little guys into the project since they could come unknotted so easily. Think about it - they're really only very tiny with not much in the way of ends. I could really see how they could come undone with washing and wear. The solution was to cut out the knot and then work the yarns into the project just as you would if you were adding another ball of yarn. Then you've got ends to weave in and have some assurance that your hard work won't evaporate on you if one of those little knots decides to unravel.

The Russian join is a good one (there's a video here on that and it's a hoot to do, but so worth the effort) or whatever join you normally use rather than just knitting it in where you've got a little time bomb on your hands (or feet! )

Anyway, thanks for responding and I hope this helps!

Happy knotless knitting!

Ruthie
HSRCampbell (01-16-2011)