Old 01-05-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
Vermontier
Casting On

3 Color Fair Isle Knitting project
I am making an Ohio State sweater using 3 colors in one row (red, black, silver) Question: How do you strand the 3 colors ? The yarn is finger weight, I have 7 silver sts, then a black st, then a red, then 7 silver again. I need to strand (carry) the red and black together as one ?
Vermontier is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
zkimom
Working the Gusset

There is a video on this site that will help with that. Look in the free videos tab under the Tips section and scroll down a bit to find it.

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Technically, Fair Isle only carries two colors in a row, but yeah, I'd personally carry the black and red together and consider "catching" them behind the fourth stitch of silver -- or perhaps catching one on the 3rd and one on the 5th to cut down on bulk behind the stitch, otherwise you'll have a really long float...

ETA: I always admire people who can strand more than three colors! Have you seen those ring thingies that can help you strand up to five? Yikes!

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:25 AM   #4
Vermontier
Casting On

Thank you. I had viewed the videos and they are great!! However it shows the 2 color Fair Isle knitting which I have taught myself, I am now doing a project with 3 colors trying to carry all 3 across. It's fun however you have to be really aware of the stranding. I was looking to see if there were any "tricks" to 3 yarns vs 2 yarns in the stranding
Old 01-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #5
Vermontier
Casting On

thank you, nice idea and I will try that, the yarn is finger weight and only 2 ply so it's not very thick however stranding with your suggestion may give a better look to the back so I will try that. Thank you
Old 01-07-2010, 01:33 AM   #6
Vermontier
Casting On

Ahhh, I just understood your question regarding those "ring things". Actually, yes, I am using one on my left hand/finger to hold two of the colors while I hold the 3rd color in my right hand. I have taught myself to use both the English (throw) and German (pick) with fair isle. The finger thing helps keep the two colors separated. It's very weird though and I am using it for the first time so I have more learning to do I actually have 3 different kinds and found I only like 1 of the 3 and am trying to get used to using it. Certainly a challenge !!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:03 AM   #7
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Here's Nanette's take on weaving floats -- she suggests catching the floats in different stitches, among other things, to make sure it doesn't show from the front.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
Gerda (01-13-2010)