Old 01-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
LittleLemon
Casting On

school knitting club
I started a knitting club in the village school. The children in the club are both boys and girls ages 4 yrs to 11 yrs. I am looking for simple patterns that they can knit, that are not too 'girlie' and not too difficult. It is surprising how quickly these children are able to understand and knit. I use bamboo needles for children that I bought and a variety of wool oddments. All suggestions gratefully received.
LittleLemon is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
meowmeowmeow
Knitting the Flap

I guess you could try two needle fingerless mittens.You basically knit a square and seam it up most of the way on the bottom and only a bit on the top to create the hole for the thumb.I thought they were girly at first but I've gotten a lot of requests from guys to make them.The pattern doesn't need to be reversed for L and R either.

You can do basic ribbing on the bottom, stockinette in the middle and another tiny bit of ribbing at the top for the older kids.I guess early beginners could do straight stockinette or garter on doubled or thick yarn and for the more advanced, they can try patterns in K,P like a waffle or basket.I definitely think they can handle it. I've seen young kids knit some pretty impressive stuff and post it on their parent's knitting blog.
All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment..."

-Nietzsche
meowmeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to meowmeowmeow For This Useful Post:
LittleLemon (01-08-2010)
Old 01-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
LittleLemon
Casting On

thanks for that idea. I had thought of a bag but not gloves. I wanted them to feel their work had been useful and enjoyable.
LittleLemon is offline   Reply With Quote