Old 01-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
shaylen12
Casting On

Whats Better???
Bamboo Needles or Metal??I have the metal ones right now and some Bamboo ones coming....which do you like best and do i need to do anything to the bamboo ones before i use them?

I'm new at the needle thing...when i first started knitting about a year ago i just went down and bought the cheap ones but now im told that the bamboo is better and easier to use.

Whats you opinion!!
shaylen12 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
It is all preference...

But mine is actually my harmony wood ones right now.

I haven't enjoyed bamboo cause it seems every set I have owned has ended up catching the yarn at the tip at one period or another...

I do like metal, but it is nothing but nickel plated for me! no going back to Susan Bates...and NEVER boye!!!

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It depends on the yarn and the individual knitter. Some people hate bamboo and wouldn't use them, others love it and wouldn't use anything else. Stickier yarns do bettern on metal, slick yarns are better on wood. Thin yarns like laceweight and sock are probably better on wood. Get a pair of inexpensive bamboo and try them out.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

There is no better, it's totally a personal preference sort of thing.

I had used metal & plastic before, preferred whichever had the pointiest tips (meaning it changed in different situations). When I bought my first bamboo needles (a circular for socks & some dpns), I wasn't sure what to expect. Ended up loving them. I'm sure it didn't hurt that they were really pointy! Found they didn't slide quite as easily, but they didn't grab either.

Be careful though, esp if you get them in small sizes. I bent a dpn with use and a tip of my circs got broken in my bag.

Last edited by gotta knit : 01-11-2010 at 05:48 PM. Reason: clarifying
gotta knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

It is totally personal preference. I love Susan Bates Quicksilver needles so much I just ordered some circs to do a sweater for my husband. The aluminum needles are fine, and I use them quite a bit. I tried bamboo, but had it catching so much fiber that I chunked them in the trash. I know of folks who won't knit with anything BUT bamboo or wooden needles. I like the slidey feel of the Quicksilver needles, others like the more stable feel of wooden or bamboo. It's just like yarn, you like what you like, and not everyone will agree with you.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Mike
Working the Gusset

Bamboo is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, but in a bad way because I actually like fingernails on a chalkboard, can't stand the bamboo scraping together.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
traceleighj
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to traceleighj
I would totally agree that it is all about preference. I have both wood- bamboo and hamony and also metal options. I use certain ones for certain projects. If the yarn is really slippery or I am knitting lace, I prefer bamboo. My Norwegian sweater used wool and that was sticky so I used metal to help me go faster. Try some of each type and use what you like!
Sheldon Cooper: It's very simple. Scissors cuts paper. Paper covers rock. Rock crushes lizard. Lizard poisons Spock. Spock smashes scissors. Scissors decapitates lizard. Lizard eats paper. Paper disproves Spock. Spock vaporizes rock. And as it always has, rock crushes scissors.
I'm traceleighj on Ravelry.
traceleighj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,880 Times in 3,001 Posts
For a new knitter: bamboo

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
For a new knitter: bamboo
I disagree. A lot of new knitters tend to knit tight and bamboo makes it that much harder to move the sts. Again, the right answer is - it depends.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #10
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,880 Times in 3,001 Posts
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
I disagree. A lot of new knitters tend to knit tight and bamboo makes it that much harder to move the sts. Again, the right answer is - it depends.
Must disagree with your 'disagree'.

Teach the new knitter to cast on with a larger needle, and then knit the first row with the smaller, gauge needle (bamboo). In my experience, a tight cast-on row is a 'lead-in' or 'set-up' for tight knitting. This can be avoided by the teacher's recommendation. Tight cast-on's are the first thing I watch for, and immediately correct. I teach & emphasize that their needle should always be able to slide back and forth through the stitches on them. Tight knitting can be an impossible strain, and very discouraging.

So, I still maintain that given the two choices she asked about, metal or bamboo, bamboo is best. When I'm teaching a new knitter, I'm called on to make a recommendation to her. I can't tell her 'it depends'. Bamboo will give ultimately give her more control, and fewer dropped stitches. If she has the budget, I would recommend Harmony's. If not, JoAnn's has inexpensive bamboo for a learner.

I think the 'right answer' is a decision.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote