Old 01-14-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
OldSkool
Ribbing the Cuff

Handmade vs Mass Produced
Hi everyone! I was wondering if there's a way to tell if a knit hat (for instance) in a shop or street vendor is handmade or mass produced? Also, how fundamentalist are you in purchasing the two? Do you even buy stuff you didn't make?

Old Skool

P.S. I'm "Ribbing the Cuff!!" *Puts on my Proud face!*

Last edited by OldSkool : 01-14-2010 at 02:42 AM.
OldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-14-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
I do buy stuff I didn't make. I wouldn't make a sweater with lace or even fingering weight for instance. Too much work on tiny needles so I'd buy that for sure. I probably wouldn't buy a hat or scarf though because those area easier.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:16 AM   #3
meowmeowmeow
Knitting the Flap

Well, because its hand made and not mechanically precise, the stitches will never be 100% exactly the same like they look when machine knit.No offense to knitting by hand of course; obviously I love it. I think the slight unevenness of the stitches are wabi-sabi.This is why I love DIY.

It really depends for me what I buy.I tend to stay away from anything mass produced because I like a unique wardrobe.Stores don't tend to just sell stuff I like either.A lot of the crafts I take up, I do because the store bought version is expensive.I really wanted a Victorian corset a couple years ago and looked at the prices,then made my own.

As for handmade items, I only buy from street vendors.If I can make something and I find it in a small shop, I make my own.I realize these people still need business and luckily I have a lot of friends that aren't quite as crafty who I can recommend these places to
All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment..."

-Nietzsche
meowmeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:22 AM   #4
rwd1105
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to rwd1105
I couldn't agree with meow more!
Old 01-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
laikabear
Turning the Heel

To tell if something is handmade or mass-produced I would look at the seams. Mass-produced sweaters and things tend to be cut out of large pieces of flat machine knitting and then sewn together with a sewing machine. Hand-seaming will look different. Or you could look at the size of the yarn. Look at a T-shirt, or underwear, or a commercial sock. No one could knit with yarn that small, you'd need like 000000000 needles.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

I have scads of sweaters I've bought at the store. I don't have enough talent to knit them, but I appreciate that someone, somewhere had to, then wrote out a pattern or program for a machine to reproduce. But, I have been known to incorporate things I see in mass produced goods into my own projects.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
Originally Posted by meowmeowmeow View Post
Stores don't tend to just sell stuff I like either.A lot of the crafts I take up, I do because the store bought version is expensive.
That is funny you say that...I wanted to get stuff that I couldn't find, or couldn't find to my satisfaction in the stores. For me it was all about finding what I thought was authentic looking Harry Potter Gear. And although it is probably widely available in England, it is not in Canada. So, I started making my own!

I will usually buy stuff in the store that I can't make my self. I am not a seamstress, so anything regular cloth, or leather, or anything of the like I will buy. If I see something that catches my eye sweaterwise (usually a bulky knit) I pass it buy, cause I would feel prouder if I made it myself. I tend to shun scarves/hats/mitts that I don't make myself, and fall/Spring I am only wearing socks I have turned out myself. Once the weather gets warmer, I need to be in a lighter sock!

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote