Old 01-14-2010, 03:30 AM   #1
kimkim
Casting On

STUCK! Casting off for shoulder shaping
Hi,

I am about to shape the shoulders for a waistcoat. Pattern instructions are:

Cast off 7 sts. at the beg. of the next 6 rows, then cast off 8 sts. at the beg. of the next 2 rows. Cast of remaining sts. for the back neck.

Currently I have 92 sts on the needle. If I cast off 7 sts in the next 6 rows that means altogether 84 sts are casted off. Leaving only 8 sts left. Then how can I cast off 8 sts on the next two rows?

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Last edited by kimkim : 01-14-2010 at 08:34 AM.
kimkim is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by kimkim View Post
Hi,

I am about to shape the shoulders for a waistcoat. Pattern instructions are:

Cast off 7 sts. at the beg. of the next 6 rows, then cast off 8 sts. at the beg. of the next 2 rows. Cast of remaining sts. for the back neck.

Currently I have 92 sts on the needle. If I cast off 7 sts in the next 6 rows that means altogether 84 sts are casted off. Leaving only 8 sts left. Then how can I cast off 8 sts on the next two rows?

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!
You are doing your math wrong

If you cast of 7 stitchs at the beginning of the next 6 rows, that would be 7 x 6 which is 42. You aren't casting off at both ends, just the beginning. Then 8 more stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows is 16 stitches more.

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
kimkim
Casting On

I am casting off 7 at the beginning of the knit row and then casting off 7 at the beginning of the purl row.....to me that is one 1 row of casting off completed. Or should this be classified as 2 rows?
kimkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
lissaplus2
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to lissaplus2
Quote:

Quote:
I am casting off 7 at the beginning of the knit row and then casting off 7 at the beginning of the purl row.....to me that is one 1 row of casting off completed. Or should this be classified as 2 rows?
Quote:
From your statement here, You think you should cast off 7 at the begining and the end. That would be the only way you would get 84 stitches casted off in 6 rows. When you start a knit row..(assuming that you are starting your decreasing on a knit row.) You would....
Cast off 7, Knit to the end of the row, turn. (Row 1 of 6)
Cast off 7, Purl to the end of the row, turn. (Row 2 of 6)
Repeat till you have done 6 rows, 3 knit, 3 purl rows.
That will give you a cast off of 42 stitches.

Then It instructs you to cast off 8 stitches at the begining of the next 2 rows. (by my calculations, you should be ready for a knit row here) This would be......
casting off 8 stitches and knitting to the end of the row. Turn.
And then.......
casting off 8 stitches and purling to the end of the row. Turn
At the end of this... you should be ready to do a knit row and you will have casted off 58 stitches, leaving 34.

Now, it instructs you to cast off the remaining (34) stitches for the back of the neck. This would be....
On a Knit row, cast off the remaining 34 stitches.

and then i assume you will be picking those up for a neck later.

hope this helps, I tried to give you step by step in my interpretation of the directions you gave.

GOOD LUCK
Melissa

lissaplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That's 2 rows.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Yes, that is 2 rows.

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote