Old 01-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
laikabear
Turning the Heel

I Learned to Knit English Style!
After I finish off some UFOs, I want my next project to be a Fair Isle sweater. I'm a continental knitter, and I've tried Fair Isle carrying both yarns in my left hand, but found it awkward. So I decided to learn to "throw" so I can carry one in each hand.

It was slow and awkward at first (flashbacks to my first scarf - a nightmare of mysterious dropped and added stitches) but I got the hang of it pretty quickly! I am a lefty so I'd like to think it presented an additional challenge!

May I present, the Fair Isle Dishcloth in Progress~

Actually it's finished but I don't have a pic. The design is a little crazy, but I can now successfully knit and (haltingly) purl in the English style!
Attached Images:

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
rwd1105
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to rwd1105
Looks Good!
Old 01-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

Well done! I knit combine, but I throw stitches like English, only with my left hand. One of these days I am going to finally get my act together and my knitting will look good. Honest, you would think I'd taught myself to knit.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
laikabear
Turning the Heel

Angela -

As long as the finished product is knitting, who cares if it looks weird? I learned to knit and purl Continental from the videos on this site, but after a while found I could purl much faster if I do it slightly differently (instead of using my middle finger to push the yarn down, I hold the yarn a little more tightly and kind of flick it down with my index finger) than is shown in the videos.

Starting off, I'm doing the English style knits and purls just like Amy shows them, but I will probably develop my own method after a while.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:55 AM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,740 Times in 7,112 Posts
I mostly knit english, but I can knit continental for ribbing or fair isle. You do develop your own method which is why I always say do what works for you!

BTW..I'm pretty fast at english knitting. I kind of move the needles down and my right hand very slightly so there isn't near as much movement as some people say.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
laikabear
Turning the Heel

I am at the point where my "throwing" motion is pretty exaggerated. Bystanders have been punched. (Just kidding). As I improve on the economy of that motion, I'm sure I'll get faster.

I was surprised to find that purling isn't really all that different from knitting English style. Both have the throw and a CCW direction. I always assumed since people talk about "ways to avoid purling" or that someone knows how to knit but not how to purl, that it would be vastly more difficult in the English style.

My biggest problem is my purls are loose. I have developed the habit of giving the yarn a little tug to even out my stitches when kntiting Continental style. It's difficult for me to do that tug when knitting with 2 colors, and my purls (both styles) are looser. The tug thing is probably slowing me down, but then again, I'm not in a knitting race. I just want to be able to knit smoothly and make nice stitches.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
meowmeowmeow
Knitting the Flap

Quote:
I am at the point where my "throwing" motion is pretty exaggerated. Bystanders have been punched.
XD Just sit next to someone you don't like.
All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment..."

-Nietzsche
meowmeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
Gemini
Ribbing the Cuff

English Knitting
Punching by-standers sounds more like 'dangerous knitting' than 'English knitting'!
I hold my right needle under my armpit (I'm right handed) - would this help free your hands up more? It helps to make me a fast knitter.

(Best wishes from England)
Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
I like to watch people knit english when they use the almost pison like throwing technique. I've tried it and I can't do it. I don't usually knit english anymore unless I'm doing fair isle. I just find that I am significantly faster with continental. Plus I hate having to remember to move the yarn from front to back depending on the knit or purl.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! EXTREME KNITTING!

I don't know about you guys, but I'd buy tickets.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote