Old 01-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #21
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
There's no law about no floats longer than 5 stitches. You can catch the yarn in the back to prevent the floats from being too long. The Philosopher's Wool site has a video, but if it's no longer there, I'll try to explain it.
Yes it is.

http://www.philosopherswool.com/Page...andedvideo.htm

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #22
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

Ingrid...yes, the gods have spoken. I ordered all the yarn this morning, but had to go to three different places to get all I needed. Got one skein from Ebay, some from Webs, and the rest from Jimmy Beans. Guess I'll be the cow's tail on this since it seems everyone else will be started before I ever get my yarn.
Maureen...I looked at that pattern again and it does look like the only fair isle portion of that sweater is the edges. I think those flowers would all have to be done intarsia, which is something I've never done much of either.
Would I need to get bobbins and wind yarn on them for each of those flower thingys?? That seems like an awful lot of bobbins hanging down. I had to go to their website to print out the graphs, which I did today at work (don't tell). Whatever...this will be good experience.
I've been knitting for years and years, but have never tried fair isle or intarsia. I think it's time. Glad I have you guys for help if I need it.
Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society. Benjamin Franklin

Sknitter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:45 AM   #23
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
My kit arrived today! I'm pleased with the Telemark yarn, and I jumped right in. Of course, being me, I'm changing things up a bit. I have thin wrists, so I'm going to do ribbing at the edge of the sleeves rather than the cuff design. I'll put the cuf pattern above the ribbing.

I'm also starting with the body with the hope of knitting on the sleeves. While I was looking at some of EZ's patterns, she talked about picking up the sleeve stitches in pattern when the yoke is in pattern to make them match. I'll give that a shot and see how it works. I'm enjoying it so far, but will probably be sighing and rolling my eyes a lot when I have to do the long stretch of navy stockinette.

Sknitter56
--Don't bother with bobbins. I find that they tend to get caught on each other. I leave a long strand hanging. They will get twisted, but it's easier to untangle them by pulling out a strand at a time. The King of Intarsia, Kaffe Fasset, suggests this and I like it better than bobbins or winding little balls.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:02 AM   #24
laikabear
Turning the Heel

Jan, thanks for the link. I was on that very page at work and it would not load. Tonight, it started playing just fine! I knit with a color in each hand and I think I could master that technique. I read that if you weave the whole way like that you might end up with a rather stiff fabric. The telemark is already pretty, ahem, sturdy, so I think I'll use that technique for weaving only when the floats are longer. On a fingering (ye gods!) weight sweater I bet it would be nice though.

Sknitter56, congrats on getting your yarn. Are you using Rowan Felted Tweed? I have only done one intarsia project (and thank god it was felted because my tension was all wonky since I was just learning to knit). I did little miniballs. I have started using the plastic thingy from bread bags (I eat a lot of sandwiches) for the tail of my long tail cast on. I bet you could use those for bobbins and they would work well, if you decide to go that way.

I finally dug out my copy of Vogue and I agree your pattern looks like intarsia for most and stranded for the bottom. Eek!

Ingrid - congrats on getting the yarn! I like the idea of the hemmed cuffs, but there is 3.5" turned under. Technically with the floats there will be 3 layers of knitting on those cuffs. They will really look like "bracelets" as they say in the pattern! I'm still chugging away on the stockinette portion of the first sleeve. I didn't like how the increases are right on top of each other (K1L, k to end, K1R) so I did K1L, k to one stitch before end, K1R, k1.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #25
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

Thanks, Ingrid and Maureen. I like the idea about the bread tabs. I should have some of those laying around. I have no idea when I'll get all the yarn, but maybe I'll get what I need to at least get started. And, yes...I ordered the Rowan Felted Tweed. But, I don't think the sweater itself is felted. At least, I don't think it is. I've glanced through the pattern several times and haven't seen where that's the case. I think that's just the name of the yarn.
Just got an email from Jimmy Beans and one of the colors I need is not in stock so there's going to be a delay. Hmmm...I have a feeling this KAL will be over before I even get started. Oh, well...I'll do what I can and ask lots of questions, I'm sure.
Thanks to both of you for your help!
Mary
Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society. Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #26
laikabear
Turning the Heel

Yeah, that's just the name of the yarn. I've never used it before but I have heard it is very nice! It will be worth the wait.

If you haven't done stranded knitting before, you could spend the time till your yarn gets there practicing carrying 2 yarns. I made a Fair Isle dishcloth, LOL! It's amazing after just a couple of hours of knitting you can really pick it up. I do one in each hand, but you could also do both in your left or both in your right.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #27
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

I cannot believe my luck! I saw something, somewhere (maybe here) about how to make this thing from old wooden sewing spools, where you attach them together with floral wire, then label them, and run your circulars through the hole to keep up with what size circs you have. Anyway, I put an ad on Freecycle asking if anyone had any of these spools and I got a response from this wonderful lady in Savannah who said she had lots and lots and would be glad to give them to me. I had mentioned what I wanted them for and she wrote back that she, too, was a knitter. She gave me directions to her home and I went by there to pick them up this afternoon and we met. She's originally from Oregon, but has been living here for 30 years. Her name is Liz and she's a librarian at the local college, though currently unemployed. She's been knitting for a long time, and had on this incredible fair isle sweater...and she steeks! and does intarsia! We hit it off immediately. She gave (loaned) me several EZ tapes and EZ's "Knitting Without Tears" without a second thought and just told me to bring them back whenever. They're VHS tapes, so I think I'll have them transferred to DVD so I can watch them as my old VHS tape thing is no longer working. I think I have a new knitting mentor that can help me through this sweater. She showed me all the sweaters she's done and they are absolutely gorgeous!
I can't believe my luck!
I'm having a really good feeling about this project.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:55 AM   #28
farmgirl
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by laikabear View Post
Farmgirl what yarn and colors are you using?

Those mittens are gorgeous! I have thought about trying them but I don't think it gets cold enough here for mittens. Fingerless gloves maybe?
I am using Cascade 220 in pink for the backgroung and Noro in a purple colorway for the fiddleheads. I have some light green alpaca silk double knit for the lining.

Sknitter--Congrats on your new friend! How great is that?

Lori
"Whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your might." -Ecclesiastes 9:10
farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:25 AM   #29
laikabear
Turning the Heel

Ooh sounds pretty!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #30
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

Got part of my order today...just one skein that I'd ordered from Ebay. Unfortunately, it's not one of the colors I need to start. It's the red (rage is the name of the color) that's used in the flowers. So...guess I'll go finish up some socks while I'm waiting.