Old 02-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #31
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Sknitter--that's awesome that you have an expert to draw from. Tell her to join the forum! I'm sure her input would be welcome.

I started the body of the sweater--I'm going to try to knit on the sleeves. After all, that is one of the beauties of steeking. EZ talks about matching up the pattern of the yoke when picking up stitches for the sleeves to make a continuous pattern. I'll give that a shot, and if it doesn't work, I can always go the other route.

I now have a billion rows of navy to knit, though. sigh

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #32
laikabear
Turning the Heel

Ingrid were you as surprised as I was about the color of the yarn? I thought it looked kind of bright blue or royal blue in the photos and was not expecting navy. I've never knit with yarn this dark before! I like the color, though.

I don't have enough experience to change the pattern much. I wish I did because I would have rather knit on the sleeves. Oh well, I have a good portion of each one done so far so it's not a huge deal. I actually like the stockinette portions. It's still very brain-draining for me to knit English!

Should I move this discussion to a thread in the KAL group? Or leave it here since we only have a couple of people. What happened to Jan? Are you knitting a stranded project after all?
Old 02-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #33
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I was surprised at the color--I just thought I was inattentive. I do like the navy, though, so it's all good.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #34
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I'm here! I sorta forgot about it! It's only the 2nd so I'm going to start today!

I moved it to the KAL forum, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Last edited by Jan in CA : 02-02-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
laikabear (02-02-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #35
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Okay...I am knitting the sheep hat. I wish I knew how to keep the floats looser! I am going to rip back and try again I think. I tried knitting inside out and it just keeps going back the correct way.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 02-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #36
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

I haven't been doing much knitting (I'm working on stuff for my friend's wedding instead) but I do have a fair isle sweater OTN. I'm knitting it top-down and making it up as I go along.

Anyway, thought I'd keep an eye on your KAL...
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #37
laikabear
Turning the Heel

What yarn are you using Jan? Gosh I wish I'd known about that weaving trick when I was making that hat. Mine turned out soooo wonky but my friend didn't even notice and she loved it.

I posted a photo of my first sleeve on my blog and a commenter said it looks like the colorwork portion is too tight! I thought I was doing it pretty loose and was hoping it would block out allright. I think I already posted that photo in this thread.

My gauge for colorowork is 1 st. tighter than stockinette (even TRYING to be loose), and my stockinette gauge is always tight as heck. I have to go up 2 needle sizes most of the time. I guess I'm just TENSE!!!

Welcome Jess! Aren't you somewhere super cold? I'm impressed you're making your own pattern!
The Following User Says Thank You to laikabear For This Useful Post:
jess_hawk (02-06-2010)
Old 02-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #38
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I'm using Red Heart Eco Ways. It's a cotton poly blend and it's nice to knit with. (The sheep are Encore)

I tried again and this time it came out TOO loose. I've done a little fair isle before, but the stitches were close enough together, more traditional, so it wasn't quite as bad as this has been. If I could knit inside out it would probably stretch the floats enough to make it work, but the rolled edge seems to want to keep flipping back out the correct way. I'll try yet again, the hat is too cute not to!

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 02-06-2010, 12:35 AM   #39
laikabear
Turning the Heel

Maybe you should try weaving every other stitch like they do @ Philosopher's wool? I really think that floats longer than 5 sts are pretty challenging/ annoying.

That slubby KP Crayon I was using was the worst, too! I kept getting irritated because it's only a FEW ROWS of colorwork! How could it be that bad? But I have had so much better luck using wool! My pregnant friend is vegan so I couldn't use wool for the hat.

Then again, I guess my current colorwork might be too tight, too. I didn't think so, though. I'm going to block those "bracelets" over a wine bottle and I bet it will be ok. For the shoulder areas I have started with one size larger needles. That's size 7!!! I used size 4 for the hems and size 6 for the bottom of the sleeves. (The pattern called for size 4 and 5).
Old 02-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #40
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by laikabear View Post
My gauge for colorowork is 1 st. tighter than stockinette (even TRYING to be loose), and my stockinette gauge is always tight as heck. I have to go up 2 needle sizes most of the time. I guess I'm just TENSE!!!

Welcome Jess! Aren't you somewhere super cold? I'm impressed you're making your own pattern!
Well at the moment it's 31, but it is the midwest... so it's liable to drop to sub-zero at any moment. They're anticipating a major storm Monday/Tuesday.
I'm a firm believer that anyone can make their own pattern, or do anything else for that matter. You just have to use your own strengths. For some people, the method is obvious. But, what about musical talents? Well, knitting is a rhythm. Think of the colors as different notes and write a symphony! The second rule I have is this: NEVER be afraid to try something new. Having never done it before, or being told that it is hard, is not an excuse to not do it. TAKE RISKS!
IF you do that... you'll screw up a lot, sure, but you will also learn, do, and create some amazing things.
If anyone is interested in designing their own project but isn't sure of how to go about it, let me know and I would be happy to guide you through the process.

My knitting starts out tight, but like you, my Fair Isle is even tighter! Part of it is the tension I put on the yarn I'm carrying. Try paying particular attention to that strand and see if that helps.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote