Old 01-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
bluewolfmom
Casting On

Big needle patterns
Hello fellow knitters!
I wonder if anyone could suggest some patterns, or a site, where I can find sweater/cardigan patterns that use a minimum of a 8mm needle? 9 & 10mm would be even better. I am limited to what I am able to do, because of Degenerative Disc Disease in my neck I have found that if I want to continue to knit/crochet I have to use super bulky weight yarn (or 2 yarns together) and large needles. This has cut down on the amount of items I am able to do - and I have done enough blankets, throws and scarves. There must be something out there to wear that uses the larger yarns & needles? I have 2 books, called "Learn to do Big Needle Knitting" (American School of Needlework) but there are only 2 sweaters and I can only do so much with those.
I have some beautiful yarns that I am so wanting to use........
bluewolfmom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Join ravelry.com and you can search the pattern database, by needle size, gauge, yarn weight and any other parameter you can thing of.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
bluewolfmom
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Join ravelry.com and you can search the pattern database, by needle size, gauge, yarn weight and any other parameter you can thing of.

Thank you - I actually subscribed to ravelry last night when I signed up here! I will go see what I can find over there.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

If you go to www.lionbrand.com and do a Search for "Speed Stix" that brings up about 20 patterns for size 50 needles (US size). These needles are about the same thickness as a broomstick and HUGE!!!!!

There's also a booklet called "Quick Knits with Speed Stix" (by Lion Brand). There are some patterns here for sweaters, afghans and rugs with the huge needles.

HTH, knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
bluewolfmom
Casting On

Thanks,
I subscribe to Lion Brand and have checked their site - the speed sticks are a bit large - I would like to make clothing that I can actually wear, sweaters & jackets and such. I have found about 3 patterns that actually look decent, so I am always on the look out for more. I seem to do well with 8mm and 9mm needles.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Instead of lookingat speed stix patterns, check out the bulky yarns - WE Thick and Quick and Homespun and there's a couple others. Lion shows patterns using those yarns which will be done on 8 and 9 mm needles, you don't have to use the same yarn, another bulky will work fine.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
So that's a US 11-13 for those of us here. I'm metric challenged and have to look them up.

For those size needles you'd probably be using bulky or super bulky yarns. Here's a few I know use that weight yarn and usually large needles. There are dozens more.

Shalom Cardigan- at the right under her profile you can download it. It says smaller needles, but I know some have used the bigger ones.
http://involvingthesenses.blogspot.com/
http://www.knitrowan.com/download.aspx?id=8&fcd=1
http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/nimbus/nimbus.html

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

I'm back!!!!!

I found some more patterns after I dug through my booklet collection. Here are 3 that I found:

#1 - The Big Book of Quick Knit Sweaters (from Leisure Arts) This has sweaters and vests with about 9-10 using the size needles you need. This isn't really a book - it's a booklet.

#2 - Knitted Sweaters for Her (from Better Homes and Gardens) This has just 1 sweater (the one on the cover) using large needles.

#3 - The Learn to Knit a Sweater Book (from Lion Brand/ American School of Needlework) This is both a learn-to-knit booklet AND a how to make a sweater booklet. All but 1 of these use bigger needles.

I forgot I had these. Now I'm gonna "have to" find something to get started on myself!!!!!

HTH, knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Also Twinkles Big City Knits is all bulky patterns. I got it from the library.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #10
sandy57th
Knitting the Flap

I was going to say everything everyone else already has .
sandy57th is offline   Reply With Quote