Old 01-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
Oh the trials and tribulations of having a penis.
Ok. So I suppose that on top of being male I probably don't look like someone who should be knitting. I have a shaved head, my ears are gauged and pierced with an industrial and a rook. I'm tattooed. I guess people, at least when they look at me, wouldn't think that I would knit.

I went to a LYS today. First time that I've been there. The lady working there was fantastic. I went in to pick up a 20" 10.5 circ to work on this cowl I've got going. Apparently they were having an impromptu knitting class with a young girl who had come into the store with her mother. The cashier was helping the girl with continental knitting and there were a few other women who had stopped to watch as well. It's a small store and only one person was working. I didn't mind waiting, but I watched as the lady instructed the girl on how to do it. The girl was holding her left hand in an odd position, her hand was rotated too far and it was pulling the yarn really far from the needle, and she kept missing when she tried to catch the yarn.

The lady helping her didn't really catch why she was having trouble, probably just didn't see what she was doing from the angle she was watching her, so I walked over and politely said, "Hey, here's how I do it." I repositioned her hands and showed her how I do a little backwards rotation on my left hand right as I catch the yarn to make it easier.

I swear they looked at me like I had three heads. The kids mother looked at me and said, "Wow, you sound like you might actually know what you're doing." To which I replied, "Well, the needles I'm here to pick up today certainly aren't for my girlfriend, so I hope I have some clue of how to use them." I suppose male knitters are in short supply in my town, cuz those ladies certainly weren't prepared for me.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trvvn5 For This Useful Post:
bambi (02-04-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
So how does your, um, anatomy fit into this story?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
trvvn5
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to trvvn5
Well. Had I had the opposing anatomy, I don't think they'd have been quite so shocked.

FO: Lacey Stole, Library Capelet, Dead Fish Hat, Tree Bark Scarf
trvvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Well, good for you for breaking the stereotype wide open!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
OldSkool
Ribbing the Cuff

I have the same issue when I walk into a hardware store. I was a fixed wing (plane) and rotary winged (helicopter) mechanic for ten years, so when I go to a hardware store and need to find a size 6 phillips head screw with a 1/8 in shank, they give me weird looks and think it's a freak accident that I (and my boobs) actually know what I'm talking about. I love going in there and talk tools with them - especially specialized ones like metalsmithing tools and which kind of epoxy is the best in a particular situation!
So I hear you brother! I concur with what Ingrid said!
Old 01-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Trvvn5 this sounds so familiar. I'm 6 ft 1 in, 280 pound breaded male. The looks I get when I knit on the Washington Metro or if my wife and I walk into a LYS the staff always turns to my wife to ask if they can help.

Similar story. I was looking for a special foot for MY sewing machine. I stopped by the local sewing specialty store, I went in to ask about the foot. I spoke to the owner of the store, a man, they didn't have the foot I was looking for. We got talking about a sewing machine on sale. During this discussion my wife walked into the store. It was amazing how quickly the owner stopped talking to me and shift to talking to my wife as if I were not there. After a few moments my wife looked at the owner and said, "Don't talk to me I don't sew he's the one you have to convince."

It is amazing how sexist women in LYS and many other craft stores can be. If I walk in alone I MUST be picking something for my wife.

Notice to LYS men knit and spend money on yarn and supplies!

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #7
meowmeowmeow
Knitting the Flap

I guess it depends on where you go.Some people just aren't exposed to 2010.

I'm surprised at how strict people see gender roles even today.I guess I could understand my mom for growing up in a very traditionally Mexican home, but even here in the Peninsula I've been called a "barbaric feminist" for knowing how to do a basic radiator flush

Personally, I don't plan on lecturing my kids(maybe,someday?) on anything about genders aside from physical differences.I think that's the only definite thing anyone has to know about their gender; which they are.And even that isn't set in stone.
All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment..."

-Nietzsche
meowmeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:31 AM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,798 Times in 7,158 Posts
There's probably more men knitters than anyone knows. With the stereotypes being what they are I don't think many of them are open about it. I think it's awesome and I applaud you and all the other males who knit and who aren't afraid to share it!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
LizzieK8
1st Leg of the Journey

It's not being a guy, it's that you knew something. I helped a crocheter out at a LYS the other day cuz the knitting, ahem, ladies, kept ignoring her. They were rabid about it, especially when I gave her on-line information on where to find instructions. She got up and walked out with me. Not only did they prove to me, yet again, they only barely tolerate crocheters, but they lost that woman as a customer. I find way too many knitting store people really can't tolerate someone who knows as much as they do.

In that same store, an employee tried to convince me that holding two strands of Tofutsie yarn is equivalent to a bulky yarn, while holding the sweater made with two strands of Tofutsie in her hand!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
WandaT
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,441 Posts
LOL - don't you just LOVE shocking people? I do. It's so much fun. One of my best friends is my ex-husband's current wife. I was wife #1 and she's wife #3 - they've been married nearly 19 years now and my DH and I have been married over 23 years. We love it when we meet new people and they ask how we know each other. When we explain, we simply say, "We're so close we share EVERYTHING!" LOL I know it's unusual, but it sure made it easier to share a daughter growing up - and now as an adult (with our first grand baby!) it just gets better and better!

Wanda T
My Blog
My Ravelry
WandaT is offline   Reply With Quote