Old 01-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
witchmeal
Casting On

Help with pattern with 'turn'
I am knitting a jumper and have come to shape the neck. I have knitted a jumper before but this pattern instructs me to shape the neck differently to what I have come across before. The pattern is as follows...

Shape neck:
K1, sl.1, K1, p.s.s.o, K16, turn (at this point I am half way through a row. I have never heard of the term 'turn' before but googled it and found out that I need to physically turn the piece of knitting around). I have gotten to this point in the pattern but surely it means that I am knitting backwards now as the piece of yarn is on the wrong side of the needle?

The instructions after turn are:

Continue on the last set of sts. as follows:- Dec 1 st as armhole edge as before on every following alternate row AT THE SAME TIME dec 1 st at neck edge on the next 4 rows, then on every following alt row until 8 sts remain.

The above bit is what is confusing me, as is the turn. Could someone please tell me in clearer words what I am supposed to do? I really don't understand it and need it translating. Thanks in advance. Also, would I be able to leave out the turn if I don't want it or will it mess up the pattern?
witchmeal is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
At this point you're working one shoulder of the sweater, leaving the other half for later.

So after you work the stitches, you turn the work as if you're done with the row and work back.

At the beginning of this partial row, you decreased at the armhole edge.

Quote:
Continue on the last set of sts. as follows:- Dec 1 st as armhole edge as before on every following alternate row AT THE SAME TIME dec 1 st at neck edge on the next 4 rows, then on every following alt row until 8 sts remain.
So decrease at the armhole edge when the right side is facing you. (that will have you doing the decreases every other row)

ALSO, when you get to the neck edge in the center, decrease on the next 4 rows and every other row after that until there are 8 stitches remaining.

Then you'll put the other half of the stitches on the needle and shape that side the same way.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote