Old 01-29-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,880 Times in 3,001 Posts
iPad+ Discussion
What do you think about Apple's new iPad? I heard it's making Microsoft nervous!

Anyhoo, it's brand new, but with all of our young techie type knitters at KH, I'm hoping you will have information and opinions to share!

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by Jan in CA : 03-27-2011 at 02:11 PM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-29-2010, 04:59 AM   #2
meowmeowmeow
Knitting the Flap

I have a lot of tech fan friends and none of us have anything nice to say about it so far.We all WAITED for this thing too.

If you want to pay too much for an over-sized and overpriced iTouch...that's pretty much the only reason to buy it.It is essentially a giant iTouch and that's the only real reason it can double as a kindle.

The thing can't even do multitasking.You can only do one thing at a time.My cell phone has more power and capabilities than this thing.

Doesn't support flash.Doesn't multitask.Not convenient for gaming(cause its big so itouch games don't work as well).No USB transfer for pix and data(you need an adapter because there is no USB port).NO CAMERA??Which means no videos and no video chat(which would have been awesome and almost have redeemed the thing..but it would take a lot more).

Basically..it's what Sony did with the PSPgo. It's a resized version of something that the market had already covered, minus a lot of the details we wanted.

I don't think this thing is going to make anyone nervous except the designers for fear someone will have their heads D: At least they already announced they will re-release a camera version of it.Basically the only pro is that it has a touch screen.If you want to pay 499 for it, don't.Save your money; buy a netbook.Expand the memory from 1gb to 2gb.Buy a snazzy case(or knit it).And a wireless mouse. << this is what I'm doing instead, at least XD
All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment..."

-Nietzsche
meowmeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meowmeowmeow For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-29-2010), Mirl56 (01-29-2010)
Old 01-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
zkimom
Working the Gusset

I agree with meow (nice kitty!) I'm a Mac girl all the way but I can't figure out why anyone would want one. Especially for $499.

I love my iPod touch and my macbook and iMac have me covered for all the rest. I don't need to spend that kind of money for something that doesn't add anything to the mix.

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zkimom For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-29-2010)
Old 01-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
Belphoebe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Belphoebe
Cool........ just a Large Screen iPod Touch

Downfalls . . . no cd drive, SD card hookup, printing configuration for the price - Starting at 499.

If I were going to buy it for just books as an alternative to the Kindle...I might have to wait and see how it functions more.
Belphoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Belphoebe For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-29-2010)
Old 01-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

I'm definitely an Apple fan ... I love my iMac and will never go back to PC. When it comes to the iPad though, I think Apple really dropped the ball!

Everyone was excited about the upcoming release of this, but now that details have been released it's a definite disappointment. Apple products tend to be a little expensive when compared to their competitors, but usually they're worth the price ... not so in this case, at least in my opinion. They'll really have to re-work the iPad before I consider buying one!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmaclean For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-29-2010)
Old 01-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
I think it's really neat, but I have an iPod Touch which I love and from what I've read the iPad really is basically a souped up version of the same thing.

BTW..I use Kindle on my Touch. The app is free and I downloaded a free sample book. I loved it! The text is easy to read and the pages turn so easy it's not a problem. I bought the whole Kindle book.

I have a Dell PC (love it!) but I'm not going to get into the whole Apple vs. PC thing. I think that is really personal preference just like continental vs english knitting. Two ways to accomplish the same thing.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-29-2010)
Old 01-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
sheldon
KH Geek
Site Admin

Thanked 1,470 Times in 527 Posts
I think the iPad will get a lot more awesome when it hits version 2.0. New apple products always get better as they mature. I owned the original iPhone. It was slow, heavy, and didn't have GPS or even the App Store. The new one has matured quite a lot since then.

The new iPad is a device meant for consuming media. It isn't meant to create on, like a netbook. It's a gap-bridger between the iPhone/iPod and the MacBook, but more close in functionality to the iPhone/iPod (it runs the same OS as the iPhone). I think it's too bad that it doesn't have GPS or a front-facing camera for doing Skype or video conferencing. I think these are features that will come about in version 2.0. I don't think they will add a CD, USB, or any other inputs. Like the iPhone and Ipod it's a very closed system. I do think they will have to have printing capabilities via wifi.

I am an Apple user, but I'm not an earlier adopter. I can see myself enjoying reading books, blogs and web sites on the iPad. I spend entirely too much time on my MacBook and desktop computers, so this would feel like a difference mode than work. But I am going to wait a year and see what happens before I hand over any money. I do think they will sell a lot of these this year and surprise the naysayers. It seems new Apple stuff always beats expectations.
The Following User Says Thank You to sheldon For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-29-2010)
Old 01-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,880 Times in 3,001 Posts
I watched the iPad video...read the information...but I couldn't figure out if an iPad would allow the user to login to their favorite forum (ahem!) and post comments, photos, etc.

I did see the 'virtual keyboard' used for writing email...but I never assume one capability will spill over into another. Would the iPad allow the user to communicate with KH and Rav?

Anyway, many thanks for all of the great comments and opinions!
I hope even more of our KH members will add their 2 cents.

I'm a bit like Sheldon. I'm never the first kid on the block to own something 'new'.
I'm a "hmmm, wait and see how it performs..." kind of gal.
Forking over $499 for aggravation isn't on my to-do list. I can get plenty of that for free!

For example, when the VISTA-OS arrived on the scene...I waited, and waited...by the time I needed a new laptop...I knew (from reading comments) that I would need a minimum of 4GB ram for it to perform at its best. I'm not a gamer, but I'm very impatient with a slow 'puter!

So far, no iPhone here. No iMac. But I finally entered the iWorld...with an iPod Nano 5th Generation.

The iPad puffs up the "photos" feature a lot. Without a USB port, or SD card support, or CD drive...how in the world do your photos get inside it? What, do we have to send them to Flickr
and then back to the iPad via internet? Oy. If so, that's double the work IMHO.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
sheldon
KH Geek
Site Admin

Thanked 1,470 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
I watched the iPad video...read the information...but I couldn't figure out if an iPad would allow the user to login to their favorite forum (ahem!) and post comments, photos, etc.
Yes, you should be able to log into the KH forum just fine. iPad runs a flavor of Safari called Mobile Safari which pretty much shows web pages exactly as they would display on the standard Safari. So the forum will work, but the videos being Flash won't work. But we're working on an app that will run on iPhone/iPod/iPad to give folks mobile access to those.

Quote:
I did see the 'virtual keyboard' used for writing email...but I never assume one capability will spill over into another. Would the iPad allow the user to communicate with KH and Rav?
The keyboard will display anytime you click on a field where you'd input text. So yes, you'd be able to use it to post to KH and Ravelry. However, you won't be able to attach photos to posts using the iPad. The OS doesn't allow uploading in mobile safari. Places like facebook have had to develop a special application for the iPhone to allow members to upload video and photos. That's would be a lot of work for us I'm afraid.

Quote:
The iPad puffs up the "photos" feature a lot. Without a USB port, or SD card support, or CD drive...how in the world do your photos get inside it? What, do we have to send them to Flickr
and then back to the iPad via internet? Oy. If so, that's double the work IMHO.
The iPad like the iPhone and iPod has a connector that plugs into the device and can be coupled to a computer via USB. So you can sync photos, music, books, etc. very easily using iTunes and iPhone. I put photos and video on my iPhone of Erin so I can show my mom
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sheldon For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-29-2010), Mirl56 (01-31-2010)