Old 01-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
sheldon
KH Geek
Site Admin

Thanked 1,485 Times in 529 Posts
The new Kindle DX is $489. If I was in the market for an eBook reader this year, the choice would be pretty easy. I think there will be some increase in competition and innovation in the eBook market thanks to the iPad. Prices will most likely drop within a year. Most Apple stuff gets released for a early-adopter premium because they know their fans will wait in line for hours at the opportunity to hand over their money no matter the price. The iPhone, Macbook and iMac all had considerable price drops this year once Apple announced the new versions.

Last edited by sheldon : 01-29-2010 at 05:29 PM.
sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sheldon For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-29-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #12
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Everything Old is New Again?
They were called Tablet computers the first time around and they were made by IBM and others.

They didn't do well back then, some 20 years ago. No one (or at least few) remembers them.

They were thicker back then.

Quote:
How do you see in bright light? They are back lit just like your phone.

How do you see while you type? It would be flat on the desk or propped in your lap.

How could you touch type without resting your fingers on the screen? It has a limit of just two points of contact, no matter the pressure on those points.

Those are a few of the unanswered questions I've heard from others that know more about the iPhone and the abilities of touch screens.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:10 PM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,807 Times in 7,166 Posts
I'm writing this reply on my iPod Touch. It's doable, but I think the iPad would be a lot more pleasant for forum viewing if you really have a choice. Or one of those mini computers.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (01-31-2010)
Old 01-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #14
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
I dunno what's up with me, but, I have absolutely no desire for any of that stuff...all the iwhatevers and such...lol...I have a computer and pay as you go cell phone for emergencies and I'm totally content with that...And it's not like I'm too old to appreciate any of it either, I'm only 32! Well, I say only, some of ya may think I'm an old hag...haha...I dunno, maybe it has something to do with my belief the movie Wall-E is coming true...kinda scary, really...lol

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:40 AM   #15
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I'm 57 and I love technology! I'd have all kinds of things if I could afford it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 01-31-2010, 04:47 AM   #16
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
What "pushed" me towards technology is my art business.

Had to keep up with the methods of communication that the business dictates. Can't take week-long vacations and completely forsake customers needs and questions. Being self-employed, I didn't have an office assistant.

Technology has its place. It's here to stay. IMO, we should all learn to keep pace with our community.

Artlady at Rav

Last edited by ArtLady1981 : 03-06-2011 at 09:45 PM.
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #17
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Bringing this to the top because I am right on the edge of purchasing a new iPad 2. DH told me I can use some of the tax refund! I love to play games, read, etc. I use the Kindle on my iPod Touch and play several games a lot. I also have an app for PDF files as well as numerous other ones I check all the time...news, gasbuddy, weather, earthquakes, forums, etc. and it would be nice to have it all bigger for my old eyes.

Anyone else have one since this was first posted or plan on getting the new one?

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 03-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #18
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Good for you, Jan!

No, I won't be getting an i-pad any time soon, if at all...but from what I've read, the i-pad would definitely be FIRST CHOICE, top of my list!

I toy with the idea of an i-pad. I can get past the pricetag, but the monthly fee for an unlimited online data package is the killer.

I got lucky with my Droidx data package! $39 per month, unlimited data.
With home phone (land-line), internet, two mobile phones (one of which needs the data package)...I'm Communication Poor already. I've reached the end of my rope. If a thousand customers didn't have my land-line number, I'd yank the home phone outa the wall as many folks have done, opting for mobile phone only. Smart move IMO.

What information do you have regarding the cost of firing up a newi-pad, and its subsequent monthly fee?

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (03-07-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #19
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I bought my iPad last April; it is wi-fi only, because for my purposes I don't see me ever using it outside of a wi-fi area.

I like it a lot -- I bought it for photos and movies, and it works great for both! My mom is impressed with how nice photos look and it is an easy to way to share them with her.

It boots up much faster than my netbook, so I use it for "armchair surfing" and I use both the ABC and Netflix apps often to watch tv shows. If USA had an episode app, I could probably get rid of a satellite box or two! (I can't shed satellite completely, but I could save a few bucks on the additional boxes.)

I knitted a shawl for my mom and called up the pattern on the iPad and used that instead of printing it out. It was a simple pattern -- not one I needed to print out -- and it was a convenient reference.

I haven't done any reading on it although I do have several book and document apps. One of these days I'm going to load up the PDF that I have for my camera manual and see how it looks -- I think it would be a great way to reference it! However, I have an e-ink reader and I do most of my reading on that, rather than the iPad.

My husband has a subscription to an automobile repair manual site; when he replaced the radio in his truck, he took the iPad out into the garage with him while he was troublshooting the wiring. It would have been a pain for him to have tried that with any kind of standard computer.

I have a small bit of enthusiasm for my iPad. I do not, however, have any great love for iTunes and I would get a lot more out of it if it wasn't tied to iTunes. I can get a lot out of it -- the app store is integrated into the tablet -- but to load up extra content such as music or books, I have to go through iTunes and for some reason it is a difficult process for me. (DH says if I connected more often it would be less painful, but I don't connect often because it is painful. )

Good luck with your decision! I highly recommend it, if you think you can use it. I wouldn't trade in mine for the new one -- not enough improvements for my uses -- but I would say to go for the new one if you don't already have one.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (03-07-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #20
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post

What information do you have regarding the cost of firing up a newi-pad, and its subsequent monthly fee?
According to AT&T (which I'd go with) you can get 250mb of data for $14.50 a mo and 2G of data for $25.00 a mo. I don't know what it is at Verizon. You choose your Ipad based on which service you want. The prices is the same, but the chip (or whatever) would be different so they aren't interchangeable.

I have a friend who has an iPad and she said she turns the 3G off when she's not using it and therefore doesn't have to pay for it. So you could pay for it when you go on a trip and not when you're just at home. It depends on what you want to use it for.

Nothing is cheap anymore that's for sure and I know that I can get a Kindle or other reader for a lot less, but I like the multiple things I can do.

Thanks Katie and Dollyce!

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~