Old 03-06-2011, 11:39 PM   #21
TrikkeAddict
1st Leg of the Journey

I love the iPad - got mine on the first day they were out last year. Then my husband decided he wanted one so I gave him mine (32GB wi-fi) and bought myself the 32GB 3G + wi-fi. Now I'm trying to sell the wi-fi only so I can buy myself a new one - the 3G will go to my husband.

ArtLady - you can't get an unlimited data plan, you have two choices of limited data. I have the cheaper one - $14.99 a month for 250MB with AT&T and I only use it when we lose power at home or when I take it on the road with me. Mostly I use wi-fi though.

The other plan is 2GB for $25.00. I'm not sure about the Verizon version - haven't seen pricing for that, but I'm going to assume that it will be similar, if not the same.

I look forward to getting the iPad 2!!!

OTN - afghan for DH (undid it for the 3rd time and started another pattern), baby sweater, hooded sweater jacket for me!!
TrikkeAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrikkeAddict For This Useful Post:
Jan in CA (03-07-2011)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #22
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Originally Posted by TrikkeAddict View Post
...ArtLady - you can't get an unlimited data plan, you have two choices of limited...
What is the difference between 'going wifi' in relation to the data limit you've subscribed to? When you are accessing the internet inside your own home wifi, are you using bites out of your data package, or is the wifi usage FREE, that is, included with your own home internet privileges? If that's so, then your 'in-home' i-pad use would be FREE, not taking away from your monthly allotment of data. I guess same goes for FREE WIFI when you're out and about at coffee shops.

So then, when does an internet access data package become essential? Just when you don't have access to either your own home wifi, or, free wifi at coffee shops?

If that's the case, an unlimited data package wouldn't be necessary for me, as it is using my Droidx, for Ravelry, KH, and tons of surfing, googling etc.

If my understanding is right, then a 2nd generation i-pad IS an option for me!
I can swing the initial cost of the tablet, but hate saddling myself with another ongoing fee for usage.

Did y'all see how crazy nuts OPRAH is about her i-pad? She have away i-pads on her OPRAH'S FAVORITE THINGS! She had a hissy when APPLE at first refused to donate the 300+ i-pads for the Special, saying they didn't need the boost of exposure. Somewhere in the stream of time from when her staff gave her the bad news from APPLE, the Apple people changed their mind and have the Oprah Show the 300+ i-pads.

Boy, I sure wish I'd been in that audience that day!

Oprah sits her i-pad on her treadmill every morning and plays Scrabble! It's a hoot! Her i-pad is glued to her all day!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:25 AM   #23
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,806 Times in 7,165 Posts
Quote:
When you are accessing the internet inside your own home wifi, are you using bites out of your data package, or is the wifi usage FREE, that is, included with your own home internet privileges? If that's so, then your 'in-home' i-pad use would be FREE, not taking away from your monthly allotment of data.
There is no monthly allotment unless you are limited by your own wifi plan. Other than the cost of the original iPad it would be "free".

Quote:
So then, when does an internet access data package become essential? Just when you don't have access to either your own home wifi, or, free wifi at coffee shops?
Exactly. Or when you travel or you're in your car and want to use it for directions or whatever. Since you have the phone you can use it with then it really isn't necessary. I was considering 3G because I do not have a phone right now that can do that. I hate my phone now. What I should do is get the wifi iPad and get a new phone!

Ohhhh I would love to have been in the audience that day, too!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:07 AM   #24
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Thank, Jan! I'm going to poke around at Apple! We have a new Mac store within walking distance. I purchased my i-pod nano from them. Something extra special about paying and walking out the door with the item!

Are second generation i-pads available NOW?

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #25
TrikkeAddict
1st Leg of the Journey

You can't start ordering the new iPad on the Apple website until Friday. I'm guessing they will be in Apple stores then also - I read at 5 pm Friday, but I don't know if that is accurate information.

You only need the data plan with the 3g version - and you don't have to pay every month if you don't want to. There is no contract. But if you don't need 3g you can save yourself $130 and buy the wi-fi only version and use your own wi-fi at home or at hotspots.

OTN - afghan for DH (undid it for the 3rd time and started another pattern), baby sweater, hooded sweater jacket for me!!
Old 03-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #26
TrueIconoclast
1st Leg of the Journey

APPLE IS EVIL!!!!! DON'T GET AN IPAD!!!!
As a teenager, I developed a hobby of buying broken Apple products on eBay, fixing them up, and reselling.

Let me just say it one more time in another way, so you can understand my distaste for Apple as a company:

When I was 16 I was buying broken iPods on eBay. Broken iPods that people were selling because they couldn't afford Apple's repair price. We'll take the cheapest repair - a broken headphone jack. Cost about $200 - $300 to have the Apple store fix it if your warranty ran out, and an additional $100 to diagnose the problem (whereas I just read the seller's description of what was malfunctioning and knew what the problem was [no sound=broken headphone jack]). Then I would buy the headphone jack for $3 (brand new, OEM parts), which came with the iPod opening tool. The broken iPod and headphone jack would come in the mail. I would take 15 minutes to open up the iPod, take out the old headphone jack, install the new one, and close the iPod up.

Bought the broken iPod for $60
Fixed it for $3
Resold it on eBay for about $90 - $110 as a repaired iPod.
Profit - $30 - $50

Here are Apple's prices (using the EXACT same parts and equipment as me):
Diagnosis: $100
Repair: $200 - $300
Your cost of parts (paid to Apple): $50
Their profit: $347 - $447

So, not based on their products, but based on their service, I would really wait to get a windows based tablet PC. Apple charges an arm and a leg for the original product, and then additionally for repairs because they can, because Apple and Mac products are considered "fly" (as I write this response on a 16-year-old MAC that I got for free.....there was no OS, just had to install it......Apple's appraisal for re-installing the OS was $200).

Hope this was helpful. But Apple is one of those companies that's just plain evil. That's my opinion.

Oh, and did I mention that I never had any formal training for fixing these iPods? I got an idea one day, typed "fixing iPods" into Google, and created a somewhat successful iPod repair business off eBay when I was 16.

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely." - John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton
http://www.ravelry.com/people/TrueIconoclast

TrueIconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #27
TrikkeAddict
1st Leg of the Journey

Funny post!!! Name a company that isn't out to make money.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #28
TrueIconoclast
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by TrikkeAddict View Post
Funny post!!! Name a company that isn't out to make money.
^^^True dat^^^

I do like the actual product itself, it's just Mac and Apple as corporations that I hate. And maybe I'm just biased against them for some reason, but I just honestly can't stand Apple lol.

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely." - John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton
http://www.ravelry.com/people/TrueIconoclast

TrueIconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #29
sheldon
KH Geek
Site Admin

Thanked 1,485 Times in 529 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Bringing this to the top because I am right on the edge of purchasing a new iPad 2. DH told me I can use some of the tax refund! I love to play games, read, etc. I use the Kindle on my iPod Touch and play several games a lot. I also have an app for PDF files as well as numerous other ones I check all the time...news, gasbuddy, weather, earthquakes, forums, etc. and it would be nice to have it all bigger for my old eyes.

Anyone else have one since this was first posted or plan on getting the new one?

I have a 3G iPad. I carry it with me everywhere and a day doesn't go by that I don't use it for something, be it reading blogs and books, administering KH, managing the servers, sending emails, etc. I even use it to track my workouts.

I think having the option of 3G service is worth it for the convenience. You can pay for it when you need it, and cancel it when you don't. Well worth the extra cost in my opinion. An iPad without internet is kind of pointless.

As for the iPad 2, I won't be upgrading to the iPad 2 myself. The new features are evolutionary, not revolutionary and there's nothing compelling me to upgrade. However, there are some rumors that apple may release an iPad 3 in the fall at the same time they announce the new iPods. Historically apple announcing the new iPods before the holiday buying season. The iPad is a similar gift giving device, so moving the release to the pre-holiday buying season makes perfect sense. With tablet competition being what it is, Apple had to come out with something now. This is of course rumor, and no one really knows what apple will do.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/09/ipad-3/
Old 03-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #30
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,806 Times in 7,165 Posts
I'm glad to hear your thoughts on this, Sheldon. Although I do play games on my iPod Touch and will on the iPad if I don't get 3G it would be just a bigger version of the same thing (basically). That's why I'm leaning toward the extra expense if I do get it.

I don't know if I'd carry it around everywhere. It's a little large for my purse. I don't know I'm still trying to justify it. I love gadgets and technology so it's hard not to jump in especially when I've got the money in my hot little hands!

As for an iPad 3 - no matter when I buy it there'll be a bigger/smaller, faster, prettier version (even in another brand) just around the corner. I learned that when I started buying computers. I can't keep up so I buy the very best I can afford rather than go bottom line because it's "good enough" and inexpensive or go into debt buying the high end product. Seems to have worked last time I bought a computer because it's 3 yrs old, still runs great and I'm not chomping at the bit to get a new one.

This means for the iPad I'd get the 32G wifi/3G version of iPad 2. Now all this being said..what is this retina display everyone is talking about? I don't have a problem with the display on my iPod and the iPads seem fine to me.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote