Old 02-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
origami
Ribbing the Cuff

Just knit my first sock! What yarn to use next time?
I just finished knitting my very first sock! I used Sassy Stripes by Moda Dea and knit the sock with four Clover Takumi bamboo double pointed needles. I was really surprised how easy it was. Really, it was just a matter of following directions. The hardest part was grafting the toe and that wasn't even all that difficult. (Thanks to the Knitting Help site!)

Of course, I only had one skein of Sassy Stripes, bought a long time ago. So I can't cast on for a second sock until I get another skein, but I think I'd like to use a higher quality yarn for the second pair.

What I need are your recommendations for inexpensive but nice DK or sport weight yarn for socks? I'd like my socks to last a while. The colorway on the Sassy Stripes is fun, but I'd like to get some natural fibers next time rather than acrylic.
origami is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
borealowl
Knitting the Flap

One DK yarn I have used a few times and really like is Patternworks Bretton and Meredith Bay. Both are mostly wool with 5% alpaca and the Bretton is machine washable. I made a sweater in each of them as well as some neckwarmers, etc. Have some right now I planned to make some socks from - I would recommend buying three skeins. Also Encore DK is 75% acrylic/25% wool and would be good. I have been wanting to try Knitpick's DK but haven't yet.
borealowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

I really like to make thick, winter socks with Wool-Eeze From Lion Brand. They do keep your feet very warm on our concrete floors. I also use a lot of Patons and Red Heart sock yarn. Once it's washed the socks are extremely fluffy. My daughters wear their socks all the time. That's about the best recommendation I can have for any yarn because they are both fashionistas.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Lynnkay
Casting On

Originally Posted by AngelaR View Post
I really like to make thick, winter socks with Wool-Eeze From Lion Brand. They do keep your feet very warm on our concrete floors. I also use a lot of Patons and Red Heart sock yarn. Once it's washed the socks are extremely fluffy. My daughters wear their socks all the time. That's about the best recommendation I can have for any yarn because they are both fashionistas.
Angela, what size needle do you use to knit your daughter's socks with Wool-Ease?
Also, do you use dpn's or magic loop, etc.?
Lynnkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Knit Picks Essentials is a great & inexpensive sock yarn. If you need INSTANT sock yarn in your hands though, the best I've found from craft stores is the Deborah Norville Collection from Premier yarns (@ Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's & Michael's). It's SUPER soft! I also like Patons Kroy from craft stores.

If you're on Ravelry you can see in my project (under 'feet/legs' tab :D) both of those used.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Oh, I just realized you were only asking about DK yarn , I haven't done a lot of DK, mostly thinner socks due to my hot climate, but the recommendations still stand. I'm sure KnitPicks probably has great DK weight yarn too.

I haven't seen any DK sock yarn at craft stores, that I know of.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #7
origami
Ribbing the Cuff

I just finished my second sock. I grabbed a skein of Lion Brand Wool Ease out of my yarn stash, though for some reason I do not seem to have a second skein to knit a second sock from. But, I do now have two socks to wear, even if they don't match.

I'll probably have to keep knitting worsted weight socks until I can get some sport or DK yarn. I do have some actual sock yarn in my yarn stash, but I was thinking I'd work my way down to the fingering weight yarns.
origami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
mrseldoo
Casting On

Just wanted to mention that IMHO the very best place for sock yarn is ebay. I just bought a lot for 32 bucks with enough for several pairs of socks. When I added up how much it would have cost me- $111 bucks!

I am using wildfoote yarn right now and love it. It also has nylon in it that helps it last longer.....
mrseldoo is offline   Reply With Quote